Logix 500 starter - standard - pro

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I am looking to purchase (or I should say have my company purchase) RSLogix 500 software.

Would anyone please be able to lead me to some valid information on this product?

I don't think we need the professional as there are only a few Allen Bradley PLC's on board here.

But I do want to have online editing ability and also be able to do SLCs if I want to.

I don't need structured text or function block, only ladder.

Compare feature would also be nice.

I have searched the forum and the net but I just keep coming up with conflicting old information.

Also if you have an idea on price difference that would be great also.

From what I seen Standard is around $1200.00 and Starter is around $600.00

Can I do everything I am looking for with Starter? (I am leaning toward Standard but would like to know the facts before ordering)

If you could link me to current part # that would be helpful also.

I have 9324-RL0300ENE as part # for Standard
and 9324-RL0100ENE as part # for Starter.
Are these still the valid part #s for these products.
Also is Linx bundled in this part # or do I need to order it as an extra item....if separate what version do you recommend?

I am also interested in putting the license key on a dongle if this can still be done so I can easily move the license from one computer to the next....any advice on good bad or ugly doing this?

I will call NC Automation in the morning for answers, was just hoping to get some input tonight so I can start putting the part #s in our ordering system.

Thanks,
BCS

Last edited:
Hi BCS,

There is or used to be a very good comparison guide between the different RSLogix 500 Editions in PDF format, namely...lg500-pp001_-en-e.pdf...but I can't seem to open it on my phone from any links I've found (including previous links from myself and Ken here) or find it in the Literature Library? It might just be my phone?

I'm sure I have a copy in work but I'm off today (St. Patrick's Day) so maybe someone else can source it for you?

It sounds like Standard is the Edition best suited to your needs. It introduces Online Editing which Starter does not support. They all do Compare and all support the SLC family, so that should be fine.

RSLogix 500 only supports Ladder Logic so ST, FBC, etc. would not have been an option either way.

Professional adds RSNetWorx and Emulate as well as other developer tools, such as VBA and Excel support.

The price difference will vary I'm sure Stateside from us so I'll leave you in more local hands on that aspect.

ORDERING INFORMATION

RSLogix 500 Starter Edition

Catalog Number 9324-RL0100ENE

RSLogix 500 Standard Edition

Catalog Number 9324-RL0300ENE

RSLogix 500 Professional Edition

Catalog Number 9324-RL0700NXENE

RSLogix 500 Professional Bundle

Catalog Number 9324-RLC700NXENE

They all come bundled with RSLinx Classic Lite which I'm sure will suit your needs.

On the USB Dongle...

If you have more than one programming workstation and are using single licensed products then I would highly recommend using the USB Dongle as the hardware Host ID. You have a 7 day grace period whenever you remove it. The license file may also be stored on the Dongle if it's a newer DONG2 version. This is known as a Mobile Activation.

I do not see any issues with using this method except you accidentally dropping it overboard! Because you're at sea for long periods I would recommend having at least one spare Dongle should something happen. This way, you can Rehost a license to the spare Dongle before the 7 day grace period runs out.

Regards,
George

Thanks Geospark for the info....great help.

And Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!!!!! 🍻

I just got a quote from NC for RSLOGIX 500 STANDARD that was over $2500.00..........Is this right, all the post I seen on the forum when looking last night were in the $1200.00 range????

BCS

Again, you'll probably get a firmer figure off some of your fellow compatriots, but I can tell you that it's currently available on the Irish Radionics website for €1,530...

http://ie.rs-online.com

I could probably do a bit better than that off the distributor.

At the current exchange rate...

1,530.00 EUR = 1,731.16 USD

1 EUR = 1.13148 USD 1 USD = 0.883799 EUR

Now I know that $1,731.16 is not $1,200.00, but it looks a whole lot better than $2,500.00, which does seem a bit steep?

G.

Thanks again Geospark,

I would send you the 1530 and have you get it for me but I looked in my wallet and don,t have any EUR. LOL :D

They called over to the other ship this company manages and found out that they have the software (supposedly) on a laptop over there, and want us to just share it.....not sure how that will work out but I am new here and not going to "Rock the Boat".....Will see how that works out.

Hope you had a good Paddies day!

We have a woman on here as our purser who is from Ireland and we were talking about St. Patrick's Day.....She said it is more of a Church holiday there than a celebration of Green Beer, Rowdiness and pinching the back side of any girl not wearing green.

I like to think it could be all those things!!! 🍻

Cheers,
BCS

Last edited:
Bering C Sparky said:
...We have a woman on here as our purser who is from Ireland and we were talking about St. Patrick's Day.....She said it is more of a Church holiday there than a celebration of Green Beer, Rowdiness and pinching the back side of any girl not wearing green.

I like to think it could be all those things!!!...

Don't mind her! It's all of those things and more!!

She's just trying to dispel the common belief that we are all rip roarin' alcho's and would use any and every excuse or occasion to drink anything and everything for as long as we possibly can, and wreck the place while doing it...

...We have moved on you know?...

...It's only 50% of us that are like that now and 50% that are not...

...Every other occasion we swap. 🍻

Bering C Sparky said:
...They called over to the other ship this company manages and found out that they have the software (supposedly) on a laptop over there, and want us to just share it.....not sure how that will work out...

Unless ye setup the mobile USB Dongle and come along side each other every few days, firing it over and back to each other, then no, I'm not sure how that will work either?

Do they realize how the licensing works?

G.

Don't mind her! It's all of those things and more!!

She's just trying to dispel the common belief that we are all rip roarin' alcho's and would use any and every excuse or occasion to drink anything and everything for as long as we possibly can, and wreck the place while doing it...

...We have moved on you know?...

...It's only 50% of us that are like that now and 50% that are not...

...Every other occasion we swap. 🍻

G.

LMAO :ROFLMAO:

Unless ye setup the mobile USB Dongle and come along side each other every few days, firing it over and back to each other, then no, I'm not sure how that will work either?

Do they realize how the licensing works?

I think they mean that since we only have 2 Allen Bradley Processors (that I have found anyway) onboard this vessel then I can borrow the other ships laptop to back up my programs and load it into spares processors to put on the shelf....and if we need it at sea we can skiff over to them and get it. (weather and our location to each other permitting)

Sounds crazy I know...most of these companies are penny wise and dollar foolish....but I must say this one seems to be a lot better than the one I just left.

This ship has mostly Automation Direct stuff on it.....not sure what their other ship has, I have not been on-board it yet.....when we both get back to Seattle I will go and have a look.

I would just purchase the AB software for myself but Rockwell seems to have a BIG problem selling you the stuff unless you are a Business with a Commercial Address.
(I will be working on getting that set up later this year for myself, should have never dissolved the corporation I had, but I guess I was trying to be penny wise also) :)

BCS

Quote:I think they mean that since we only have 2 Allen Bradley Processors (that I have found anyway) onboard this vessel then I can borrow the other ships laptop to back up my programs and load it into spares processors to put on the shelf...

If you're gonna put spare processors on the shelf, why not just get 2 AD units, rewrite the programs into them and if the ABs ever bite the dust, just replace with AD? That way you have everything the same.

Quote:I think they mean that since we only have 2 Allen Bradley Processors (that I have found anyway) onboard this vessel then I can borrow the other ships laptop to back up my programs and load it into spares processors to put on the shelf...

If you're gonna put spare processors on the shelf, why not just get 2 AD units, rewrite the programs into them and if the ABs ever bite the dust, just replace with AD? That way you have everything the same.

Because these two pieces of equipment are certified by DNV (Det Norske Varitas) and if you were to do that then you would need to have this equipment re-certified by them.
Not an easy or cheap task.

We get away with doing what ever we want with about 80% of the stuff on these ships with no-one inspecting or even caring what you do......but the other 20% fall under some heavy regulation that you cant just monkey around with as you please and get away with it.

BCS

I see. I guess it's different out there than on land. Once a machine is out of warranty we pretty much do whatever we want with it, as long as we keep the safety features active.

I just got a quote from NC for RSLOGIX 500 STANDARD that was over $2500.00..........Is this right, all the post I seen on the forum when looking last night were in the $1200.00 range????

I just had RSLogix 500 Standard quoted today as well (I'm in upstate NY) and it was also right about $2500...Apparently inflation has kicked in or something ;)

-Benaiah

Do you guys have remote internet access? You can set up a fta server and just check out the license as you need it and return it when you are done, assuming the connection is good.