Who makes modbus tcp I/O racks?

Pete.S.

Hi guys,

I was wondering who makes modbus tcp I/O that are good?

I wasn't thinking about individual modules rather a complete I/O rack (rail mounted) with a number of modules for digital, analog, counters and whatnot. And the entire rack controlled by modbus tcp.

It's for hooking up distributed I/O to a PC based system that talks modbus tcp.

Thanks,
Pete

Hi guys,

I was wondering who makes modbus tcp I/O that are good?

I wasn't thinking about individual modules rather a complete I/O rack (rail mounted) with a number of modules for digital, analog, counters and whatnot. And the entire rack controlled by modbus tcp.

It's for hooking up distributed I/O to a PC based system that talks modbus tcp.

Thanks,
Pete

I haven't used them but Redlion seems to have a couple of options including their latest (configured with Crimson 3.0)

http://www.redlion.net/products/industrial-automation/process-control/rtus-io-modules/e3-io-modules

Acromag (US based, old time I/O module vendor) makes DIN rail mount (and maybe 19" rack) AI, AO, DI, DO modules that Modbus/TCP servers(slaves).

Web server configuration interface. Pretty straight forward.

GE's VersaMax I/O which is modular or RSTi-EP slice I/O are designed for this but if you want real rack I/O use a Network Interface Unit such these:

This RX3i unit makes the most sense for a new system as the 90-30 is on its way out. The down side is that today you need to add an Ethernet module to the rack.
https://ge-ip.force.com/communities/en_US/Documentation/IC695NIU001-PACSystems-RX3i-Ethernet-NIU

The 90-30 one will be available for a long time yet or GE will update the PAC one above. (>5 yrs)
https://ge-ip.force.com/communities/en_US/Documentation/IC693NIU004-Series-90-30-Ethernet-NIU

Last edited:
If you want a solid metal backplane Schneider M340 IO modules are good. If you don't need local CPU on the backplane get a PRA remote IO adapter instead of a CPU.

If chintzy plastic snap together backplane (compact-logix style) is OK schneider has Advantys IO. I don't recommend that. I think also their momentum IO might do what you need.

I stick to the M340 with pre-wired cables

Hello Pete

Archie mentioned beckhoff and als another alternative you could use Wago 750 I/O with 750-352 coupler. Is the same size and look like Beckhoff.
750-352 can do modbus tcp server or ethernet ip protocol.

I have used it with Unitronics plc as modbus client with analog and digital I/O.
But it can also handle special I/O modules like counter modules.
don,t forget to look at the setting how the I/O device should react when communication gets lost. With Wago in default setting outputs keep there last state and you must decided if this is allowed four your proces and safety for persons.

Kind regards
Henny.

Schneider electric makes OTB or optimized terminal block that you can use for io that can talk with a computer. They are pretty cool.

Just Google them.