RSLinx Won't Run as a Service

matt.norsask

Hey all,

I've just set up our new laptop with RSLinx, but I cannot get it to work as a service. When I run the RSLinx Launch Control Panel, I have the 'Always Run as Service' box checked. When I look at services in msconfig, it also says it is running. But I cannot get any of my RSLogix programs to communicate unless I open RSLinx as an application. As long as the application is open, everything works fine. Any ideas?

Welcome to the Forum !

What version of RSLinx Classic have you installed ?

What OS are you running ?

Are you logged in as an Administrator ?

Are you using any sort of remote desktop, virtualization, or other not-literally-sitting-at-the-console sort of connection to the computer ?

There's a decent RA Knowledgebase document describing the way that the RSLinx Classic service interacts (or doesn't) with the GUI and with other applications based on the Session it runs in under Windows. RA KB # 63506, Access Level = Everyone.

Last edited:
I'm not actually running classic. It's version 2.41.00 of RSLinx Gateway. I'm logged in as admin, running Windows 7. Nothing as far as remote desktop. And thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:
Your link had the solution! I right clicked on RSLinx Launch Control Panel, and clicked 'run as admin.' Now, unlike before, when I unchecked the box that says 'run as service,' the RSLinx icon popped up in the task bar. And it shows up automatically when I open RSLogix, rather than having to manually open RSLinx everytime I log in. Thanks Ken!

Excellent; thank you for posting the followup.

RSLinx "Classic" has the Lite, OEM, Professional and Gateway editions. It's the software we've been using for many years to provide connectivity between A-B controllers and RSLogix software, as well as various OPC and HMI clients.

They gave it the "Classic" moniker around version 2.52, I think, to distinguish it from the FactoryTalk data provider, "RSLinx Enterprise".

Version 2.41 is... pretty old. Probably 10+ years out of date. The last revision of the 2.x line was version 2.59, and there have been a few modern v3.x versions made to work with Studio 5000 v21 and up.

But if it works, use it !