Free copies of registered software?

jvdcande

I've just received a PM which stated
hi jvdcade
do u please have a copy of pro tools/lite
to help me access op17
I have answered as follows:
Sir,

ProTool/Lite is NOT freeware. Giving you this software, provided I have it in my possesion, would be an illegal act. I will not help anybody to commit crime, nor am I planning to commit crime myself.

Please note that this forum is only for legitimate transactions. Turn to your local Siemens dealer for more support.

Regards,

Jean Pierre Vandecandelaere
People with this kind of questions be warned: this is the last time I handle this kind of question this way. The next time I won't be this nice.

Regards,

geeeeee jvd,

if that's nice, I don't want to see you upset.
kid was just asking if you HAVE IT or maybe to access
the HMI for him (help), not to give him a copy of software.

:D :D :D

(ok I know, I know, he meant the copy of software...)

Yeah, I know. A friend of mine got involved with the BSA (Business Software Association). Guess that's why I'm a little bit itchy when it comes to copying software nowadays. It has cost him an arm and a leg, because he wanted to 'help' someone. BSA surely is active over here!

Regards,

People with this kind of questions be warned: this is the last time I handle this kind of question this way. The next time I won't be this nice.
jvdcande, that's why I gave that other post a URL to get a copy program. The URL was just to the site to download the freeware disk copy program, hopefully the fools will get caught and stop asking us to help them break the law! Then their next post will be "does anybody have some money to help me with my lawyer"!
Copywright infringement is a BIG deal over here as well, just ask napster!

Maybe we should just come up with a link and send "IT" to them. The link would contain a "worm". A big, nasty worm! One so fierce it would scare Tom. One that would jump out of the computer and eat them. Then, problem solved until the next idiot asks.

regards....casey

PS: I chose Tom because I think he is fearless. I thought of a few others, but AB or Siemans scare them. And "I" sure don't want to think about Steeplechase.

Last edited:
Casey,

although I do like the idea, I can't do that. Sending a worm is also illegal over here. Guess I have to endure, as we all might do.

Edit: have you already seen the thread "Need S5-100U software"? Someone offered to send version 7.0. What if the asker is someone from Siemens trying to find abusers? I know for sure Belgian Siemens people know about this site, I pointed it out to them about 5 years agoo. Told them this was my biggest PLC knowledge resource, but I don't know if they are visiting regularly.

Regards,

Last edited:
Is this the best way that you can write with. You can tell him that using a polite reply.
Mr. syab, we (me and several others) have tried it at numerous occasions. We're tired of getting the same questions over and over again. It seems we will be forced to report people to interpol to get rid of demands for illegal copies of software. Mind you, that is what we should do as good, law respecting, citizens. Now if YOU would have the choice between these options what would you do? Commit crime and spread illegal copies of registered software, thereby risking to be sued yourself and/or losing your job? Be nice and keep on getting these PM's? I think scaring people of IS the nicest way for both parties: we get peace of mind and they are NOT reported (although it IS our civic duty to do so). If you can come ip with alternatives with that good result for BOTH, without performing any illegal act, you're very welcome.

Regards,

dear jvdcande . i agree with you that we should try to prevent any illegal action .and thank you for you illustration.

True virtue is not virtuous, Therefore it has virtue.
Superficial virtue never fails to be virtuous, Therefore it has no virtue.

True virtue does not "act", And has no intentions.
Superficial virtue "acts", And always has intentions.

A person of high virtue is not conscious of virtue
and therefore possesses Virtue.
A person of little virtue tries to be virtuous
and therefore lacks Virtue.

A person of high virtue does not make a fuss
and is not seen.
A person of little virtue always makes a fuss
and is always seen.

-Confucius

jvdcande - Next time just say NO.

Pierre,

this time someone told me I wasn't polite. If I simply said no, what would they have called me? Plain rude? I know I should have said no, but I didn't feel comfortable enough to do so. You know, I'm only human, have feelings and make errors, as all of us do from time to time. As for the quote from Confusius: I think he was wise enough to say such things only about people he really knew. As for me, I know I'm only trying to gain virtue, I'm far from possessing it. But at least I try.

Kind regards,