Moving Siemens TIA V11 programs

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
Sooner or later, you will find that a TIA S7 User Program will not connect to Networked devices. You get the dreaded "no accessible devices on network" ... Well, this post is not about that... it's more about what to do when nothing works, as there may be a problem with the Network Controller..

I have another PC, identical to the one that isn't working. Both are Windows XP 32 bit, both running S7 TIA V11. The PC that works, does not have the program currently running nicely on the S7 1200 system. The PC that does not work, has the needed program ... I want to make some changes.

TIA generally stores its user program files in C:\\Documents and settings ... \My Documents\Automation\the file

What I need help with.. is transferring that file to the PC that is working. So that it will show up in the list of available programs when TIA V11 opens on the good computer, and accesses the components "on line". I don't know how to do that.

ALSO... is there a way to "upload" a user program from a programmed CPU & HMI to a new computer's TIA V11 program files... without Copying/Migrating or Transferring the file in some way, from the original computer?

Thanks much, Regards, Michael

have you choosed right NIC for online. Also computers firewall can disable online view.

HI.. Thanks for the reply. I believe I've formatted everything correctly. Even ran a diagnostic on the Network Controller .. it failed two of the 9 tests (Memory test and On Chip CPU)

My question (with too many words) was about how to transfer the programs I need from the defective PC to the PC that does go online with the PLC and HMI .. but doesn't have the programs I need.

Also, I don't know how to upload the working program from the PLC (S7 1200).. or if it's even possible.

PERHAPS I could use a Flash drive, and transfer the program I need from the defective PC to the working PC? I hadn't thought of that before .. DUH!

I can't eMail a copy of the program folder in My Documents\Automation\the program. But perhaps I can "Migrate" the program to a thumb drive, and transfer that way? Never tried migrating a Siemens program .. doesn't quite work like any other file I've moved around .. :)

Have you ever "migrated" a program using TIA portal?

Regards, Michael

there is couple ways, you can copy appropriate project folder from program files/siemens folder to another computer or by archive/retrieve commands (program is zipped to location you want)

archiving is advisable method

you can upload project from plc, but then it don't have any symbol names on project. (at least it was that on old step 7 programs)

p.s Can you ping PLC from both PC's. Even that you don't see PLC on accessible nodes, but ping works, you usually can connect with correct IP to PLC

Lare... I just tried that .. Then discovered that the TIA V11 sp2 Update 5 on the broken network PC ... doesn't match the TIA V11 sp2 Update 0 on the good PC! .. DUH! .. so, I must update the good PC's TIA to version 5 ... AAAAAAaaagh

That's going to take a while.. 'cause I can't find where you download updates on the Siemens site... sigh!

Nothing is ever easy with Siemens... I click on the download link to start the update: SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD5.exe

And then am given a totally unintelligible set of instructions about some folder for package extraction..etc.. etc..

Perhaps I'll try YouTube.. or Google on the actual tutorial for updating a TIA Portal...sigh!

To apply updates in TIA Portal do the following:

Execute the SIMATIC_TIAP_V11_0_SP2_UPD5.exe (you must download the .001, .002 and .003 parts as well)

Select a directory to extract it to... for example C:\TEMP\

Open the folder C:\TEMP\ locate the file either setup.exe or start.exe

I'm going by memory a bit here, but I think that is it!

PS: it must be on the same computer that you are trying to update!

Last edited:
Looks like you were correct Sigma....

Thanks again... :)

PS:.. Looks like it will take a long time ..starting from .001 and doing the remaining 4 to get to Update 5.. Siemens indicates that Update 5 has all the other updates included... sooo.. there may be an easier way.. but, so far update 1 is progressing well...

Last edited: