Learning Codesys

califflash

I'm beginning a new job soon and the next place uses only Wago PLC's. All of my previous experience is in RSLogix 500/5000 and DirectLogic. I'm very confident in my Ladder and FBD skills at this point.

I expect a lot of things from a development environment and program structure standpoint to be very different when moving to Codesys and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book or tutorial series. Wago's documentation for V3 and the documentation directly from Codesys all seems very weak. I would like to hit the ground running instead of fighting a steep learning curve.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Not sure if this is a "legal" copy of the book, but here is something I found:

http://www.dee.ufrj.br/controle_aut...Programming_Industrial_Automation_Systems.pdf

Many years ago, before I even heard of Wago, Beckhoff, or 3S-Software, I learned from one of the IEC61131 books. It was very dry reading, but the knowledge I gained proved to be tremendously helpful several years later. This was the actual book I learned from:

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Industrial-Control-Systems-Engineering/dp/0852969503

I'd definitely look at Kurt's videos.

I would also make sure that you remember to flash your program into non-volatile memory when you're done (and before you power cycle). I've messed that one up before. One thing that I like to do before I leave a job is to power cycle the PLC and make sure I can get back online with it once it powers back up.

"Actions" are a wonderful feature that Codesys has that AB doesn't.

Don't be afraid to start learning different languages, like Structured Text. The ladder editor in Codesys might reduce you to tears since you're used to the AB ones.

Another great feature of CoDeSys is the simulation mode. It lets you run code (not including communication) without actually having the hardware there.

Couple the build in visualization with it and you have a powerful training system right there.

You can get CoDeSys 3 from 3s for free. This doesn't let you work with any hardware but lets you create programs and visualizations and run them in simulation mode. I use this a lot to test things out when I don't have the hardware yet.

You can also run codesys on a Raspberry Pi. Also for free, but limited to a couple of hours, for training that is good too since it will allow you to play with communication.

I have the book by Karl-Heinz & Tiegelkamp that Archie links. Actually, I did until a coworker borrowed it years ago so thanks for the pdf file. It is very thorough, and especially good for those who want to try advanced things like object-oriented coding within Structured Text or Continuous Function Charts which look intriguing but few seem to have tried. But, it will not help you with the CodeSys editor nor other practical aspects like compiling code and operating the PLC.

My CodeSys experience was Beckhoff's TwinCAT 2 version, which looks similar to Wago in screenshots. Indeed, Beckhoff and Wago developed Beckhoff's K-bus terminals together before splitting off development. I think that is essentially what the Wago I/O is. TwinCAT 2 had a separate System Manager program for configuring and viewing I/O, so I expect Wago has similar.

Another great feature of CoDeSys is the simulation mode. It lets you run code (not including communication) without actually having the hardware there.

Why is this not simply standard across the board? When I was at Automation Direct back in November for some seminars, I asked some of the AD guys about a simulator for the Productivity line. Most of them looked at me like I had a third eye and "why would you need that?". Meanwhile, their DoMore line does have a simulator.

From the world I come from, simulators I pretty much standard. I was rather shocked that there are so few PLC's out there that have a simulator at the software level.