SIEMENS - Synchronizing a cutting machine with line speed

Prince

I'm working on a design for a cutting machine.

This system gets synchronized with the production line speed, Do the cutting and come back to the home position. The speed of the line is sampled by a measuring wheel encoder.

My customer wants the system to be independent from the line PLC. So I need to choose a new motion control system which can read encoder pulses, command the servo and cutting drive.

I prefer to work with SIEMENS as the other parts of the system are the SIEMENS.

Is there a servo control system which can do all these tasks by itself?
Should I use a PLC?
Do you suggest a motion controller (e.g. SIMOTION D410‑2) for this task?

Maybe 1200 series PLC with a V90 with encoder and a servo motor S-1FL6.

Your local Siemens supplier will probably help you with selecting the correct hardware based on the required torque (in Nm).

There is also a pdf which helps you select everything, I'll look for it if you this setup may work for you.

If you check the series 1200 manual and search for "HSC" it will tell you how to read the encoder. If you want a sample project, there is one of the Siemens forum: google "sample program s7-1200 with high speed counter"

Last edited:
Very helpful link knutabru. This is exactly the system that I want

I'm somehow a novice with SIMOTION and the company's explanation is a bit UN-SIMATIC
so here are my trail of dumb questions

What are the software packages that I need to buy?
Do you have any suggestion about the measuring wheel encoder module?