Networking Citect Servers

Big_Noz

I have 3 Citect projects running on 3 different machines all of which are setup to be servers. My questions is each machine has its own clusters set-up for its tags etc can i put these machines on a LAN and share the tag data? i assume this should be fairly easy but dont seem to be able to find the right help files to make it happen.

Thanks in advance

Short answer is yes.
You will need to create a Main project then Include the other projects under this.
You will also need to rework the comms part of the project.
Decide if you want the network to have redundancy.

It depends what your ultimate goal is really, you could leave them all as standalone on the same LAN and create a global client to talk tot hem all, or you could merge into one project, but having them all as separate entities and servers i don't think you will be able to share unless you start using OPC or OFS etc.

Thanks for the comments, i hope you dont mind a few follow-up questions:D having never used opc i have set-up an opc server with the network address of the machine i am using along with a board and port as detailed in the he files, then i could not compile because i had an OID error which i sorted in the setup editor , i am unsure of the device Address what should i use? also how do i then configure the tags that i want to transfer from the project for other opc devices to read? once i have this set i assume i will be able to configure my red Lion displays to communicate via the opc server.

Thanks for the comments, i hope you dont mind a few follow-up questions:D having never used opc i have set-up an opc server with the network address of the machine i am using along with a board and port as detailed in the he files, then i could not compile because i had an OID error which i sorted in the setup editor , i am unsure of the device Address what should i use? also how do i then configure the tags that i want to transfer from the project for other opc devices to read? once i have this set i assume i will be able to configure my red Lion displays to communicate via the opc server.

I don't and won't use OPC (OFS in Vijeo Citect) so can't help on that one i am afraid.

Any particular reason?

Yes, its another layer of software between the Citect application and the device that unless you really need is only going to give issues, we always use the native drivers where possible, don't even get me started on getting the DCOM stuff to work, if you haven't got a tunneler then its a real pain.