Any Phoenix Contact PLC-V8C/PT-24DC users out there

sparkyinak

I have a vendor who is working to set me up with a sales rep from Phoenix Contact in the near future regarding the PLC-V8C/PT-24DC modular system which is pretty much up my alley for my needs.

No disrespect to the company by any means, I have never heard of the company, so I have no working experience with them in general. When we specifying products, one must be able to back up what we are trying to sell the customer. Electricians tend to hold onto what they know, and for good reason... At least us older generation.... Lol!

When I talk to the salesperson, I do not want to go in empty handed. Salesmen will do what they can to close the deal. That's their job and I can appreciate that since we are all salesmen to some degree. I prefer field experience and firsthand knowledge other professionals then just cut sheets and sales jargon

Anyone out there familiar with the product in the field? Anyone know of any similar systems? It sure can fill a niche for me.

Sparky,
I have never used these PLC's from Phoenix before but do use a lot of Phoenix terminal blocks, fuse blocks and relays. In general I find that their equipment to be good quality.

One think to keep in mind with Phoenix is they are a worldwide company so a lot of products they make don't really end up in the US market. So I would ask the Sales Rep about how many uses of this PLC do they have in the US. Ask about Stock. Ask about help with the programming in the US. it is possible that they may be tying to move this product from another part of the world to the US market and they may not be quite ready. You don't want to be their Guinea Pig!!

As for looking for something new I am always one the hunt for the next PLC that will do what I want and be less expensive. Ask them to give you one to play with. You may like it, then again you may not. Best to find out before you make a large $$ commitment.

Thanx. I totally agree with you on all points. It's looks great on paper but I need proven performance in my neck of the woods

I also like your quote. I use that line all to often at work. You work for the government too?

<Disclaimer - I work for a Phoenix Contact distributor>

We have used their ILC line of PLCs in several projects without incident. We did have an output blow on a controller but it is an outdoor, generator powered application and at least in our experience, those seem to have more issues with electronics than others.

We have seen the controller you mentions but I have not programmed it personally. I would put this in the category we call "smart relay" Like the Moeller/Eaton EZ-Relay product or similar devices.

The programming looks all block oriented. This is not good or bad, just what it is.

I have never liked the way Phoenix addresses I/O on their controllers which always seems overly complicated to me. Maybe this is because of their history with Interbus and the plethora of bus connected products they have?

I have noticed that, at least in the ILC line, they seem to be about the fastest controllers in their price range.

The relay based logic controller looks to excel where space is a premium and the task is not too complicated. If you buy into (see link) wiring directly to the PLC style relays which become the I/O of this guy, then you truly have a tiny footprint design.

Thanx and cudos to the disclaimer. The size and modularized system are my main attractions to the product. If I have time today, I'll download the free software and play with it. The demo videos on the website seems that programming and setup is pretty intuitive.

reliable german product, software is good.
the package is looking weird green, but on the inside it is same as any other PLC.

I bought my starter kit March of 2015. Cost was $175.00 from our Phoenix rep.

Day after, I got a quote for the PLC unit and 8 relays. Total cost was $133.00. PLC unit was $55.00, you can do the math on the rest.

Gee, ya know I got a bunch of USB cables, and this internet thing allows you to download free software o_O

None the less, I kinda like them. Plan to use mine at home. The weekly timers are cool, plus you can download a Sun Tracking FB that could come in handy for my purpose.

I may be able to assist.

@sparkyinak I am an automation sales engineer for Phoenix Contact. I spent the last 10 years in the automation and control industry primarily in the marine environment. I've worked in panel shops, ran a shop and have traveled all over as a field tech, including a month in Ketchikan at the Vigor Shipyard. I live in Seattle and am your support person. PLC V8 is a great controller especially for basic applications, the software is free, form factor is small and the relays are replaceable. Happy to answer any questions.