Read and display Phoenix Contact UPS variables in Beckhoff PLC

jenako

I am using a Phoenix Contact UPS (QUINT USP) and I want to display information about the UPS state (battery charge percentage for example) in the Beckhoff IPC. I know I can download UPS-CONF software in the IPC and monitor the UPS parameters through UPS-CONF run in the IPC, but ideally, I want the UPS parameters to be accessed and displayed directly through the PLC program that run in the IPC. Do you have any PLC libraries that conform to the IEC61131 standard that can be used in TwinCAT?

And how do you plan to get the UPS state information from the power supply? Does the Phoenix Contacts power supply have some sort of communication interface? What exact model of power supply are you using?

Essentially assume a configuration like in the attachment. As one can see, a data cable is connected from the UPS (QUINT-UPS/24DC/10A) to the IPC. The installed software in the IPC (UPS CONF) allows to monitor UPS parameters. What I want is to have this information directly displayed in the program run in the IPC, rather than minimize PLC program, open UPS CONF etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmyGuMvpauc

The communication protocol is probably prioprietary. Have you asked Phoenix Contact?

There's a Phoenix Contact UPS-IQ that supports modbus protocol. This is the one you want.

Otherwise the standard UPS has an alarm contact you can connect to a DI.

Edit: Nevermind, thought you wanted to read the information in a PLC.

Last edited:
The communication protocol is probably prioprietary. Have you asked Phoenix Contact?

There's a Phoenix Contact UPS-IQ that supports modbus protocol. This is the one you want.

Otherwise the standard UPS has an alarm contact you can connect to a DI.

Edit: Nevermind, thought you wanted to read the information in a PLC.

Isn't that exactly what the OP wants? He wants to read UPS parameters in Beckhoff Industrial PC as he stated. This link (https://www.phoenixcontact.com/onli...07-07-01/d644dc8d-8268-4823-93ea-fd557a44833c) states that Phoenix Contacts DC UPS devices with IQ technology support Profinet, Ethernet/IP and EtherCAT.

@jenako: what exact model of UPS do you have?

Isn't that exactly what the OP wants? He wants to read UPS parameters in Beckhoff Industrial PC as he stated. This link (https://www.phoenixcontact.com/onli...07-07-01/d644dc8d-8268-4823-93ea-fd557a44833c) states that Phoenix Contacts DC UPS devices with IQ technology support Profinet, Ethernet/IP and EtherCAT.

@jenako: what exact model of UPS do you have?

Indeed that is exactly what I want! Karlek the UPS we are using is :

Uninterruptible power supply - QUINT-UPS/ 24DC/ 24DC/10 - 2320225

jenako, I don't think that communication with that model of power supply directly from PLC/IPC will be possible. Check Phoenix Contacts website, there are other versions of that power supply which use Profinet, EtherCat and Ethernet/IP, for example part number 2906993 (Profinet).

See following list: https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/pi?1dmy&urile=wcm%3apath%3a/pien/web/main/products/list_pages/QUINT_DC-UPS_P-22-07-07-01-01/d3599a0a-0804-42a3-abdd-35cee1364b85

With these models you will be able to use standard TwinCAT blocks for communication through Profinet or other protocols.