PowerFlex 400 programming cable

easystreet

Hello All

I have a PowerFlex 400 that I would like to program with the free version of Connected Components that I have installed on my lap top.

They are recommending using the 1203-USB converter and cable from the drive manufacture.

I already have a USB to RS485 converter from BB Electronics (USOPTL4) and would like to use it to connect to the drive.

Is it possible to make a special cable?

I can not find any information on the port pin out or the cable.

Thanks!!

I am able to communicate with the drive using third party software and my USB to 485 converter and pins 4 and 5 at the DSI port.

Problem is, I just cant seem to get the drive to come up when using RSLinx.

I have read that some of the pins in the DSI port are used to power the factory recommended 1203-USB. I wonder if the 1203 also connects two of the pins to tell the drive that it is in program mode?

Has any one dissected a 1203-USB ?

http://www.chipkin.com/products/software/modbus-software/cas-modbus-scanner/

Last edited:
Make sure you use pins 4 and 5. Always check before plugging into any AB RJ45 Jack. I've cooked an ethernet port before >.<. As far as using it, I'm not quite sure. I know the AB one has its own driver and uses the DSI protocol.

You have to add a specific driver, I want to say PIC driver, but I can't remember which one. Perhaps the experts will chime in on that one. It isn't the DF1 driver. At that point it should show up on RSLinx. You can also use an ethernet module if you have one, which is way easier. You would need a small switch to connect to the dummy switch and to configure your computer's LAN connection to be on the same subnet (easiest way). At this point you can add it to RSLinx Ethernet/IP driver and connect to it that way. If you have the ethernet module this would save you a LOT of time. I find the serial connection to be really slow and cumbersome.

OK Thank you!

I downloaded the 1203-usb drivers but cant find a way to install them without the "found new hardware wizard".