PowerFlex 400 DSI Port

KirkC

Does anyone know what the RJ45 pinouts are for the DSI port on PowerFlex 400 drive? I want to connect a Modbus 485 master to it.

Thx

Should be in the manual. They also have an RJ45 kit with RJ45 connectors that have screw terminals and the resistors. I'm not gonna look it up because it should be in the manual.

I spent 2 hours reading manuals. No, it is not the manual. That is why I asked. The DSI Cable Manual kinda identifies pins 4, 5, 1, and 8 as doing something, but not what they do.

After some experimenting the answer is pin 4 = D+, pin 5 = D-. I suspect pin 4 is jumpered to pin 1 and pin 5 is jumpered to pin 8 for the purpose of daisy-chaining.

Why don't you spend the 20 bucks or so and get the proper RJ45 kit for the task. Sounds to me like you want to make your own. How much is that costing?

RJ45.jpg

Pins 1 and 8 are identified in the diagrams on page D-2 of the PowerFlex 400 User Manual solely to orient the reader's view of the plug.

Data B = DSI plug Terminal 4
Data A = DSI plug Terminal 5
Chassis Ground / Data Common = Discrete Control Terminal Block Terminal 19

Thanks Ken.

I will get the AB connector, but I needed to know what the pins were assigned to because I am not connecting to an Allen Bradley master.

Use any connector you like; those are just convenient and available from your A-B distributor.

I don't like it that DSI was built without an isolated 3rd conductor for the signal reference (like DH-485 users), but that's the way it is.