permanent F04 UnderVoltage fault on PowerFlex 400

Kataeb

We have a F04 UnderVoltage fault on a PowerFlex 400 drive, which does not want to reset. It was running normally for months.
We checked input voltage 3~ ok, input fuses ok.
What could be the problem? inside the drive? inner fuses?
Can it be repaired? by changing some electronic devices?

90 kw , PowerFlex 400, Fan & Pump Drive. 380 VAC, 3 PH. 170 Amps. 125 HP,Frame Size F, IP30 (NEMA 1 / UL Type 1). Fixed Keypad. RS485 (without Brake IGBT) Rockwell 22C-D170A103

Thank you

Everything can be repaired but the question is is it worth it to repair.
as to your problem i would look at the input 3 phase power bridge you could have a rectifier open, it could also be the main board not sensing the buss voltage.
measure the buss voltage directly, a 480 v 3 phase should be above 750 VDC i have seen them up around 790 V or more
Line voltage RMS Volts * 1.414

Are there any instructions anywhere on how to repair these drives in-house instead of shipping out to 3rd party repair companies? Where can I get drawings of the control boards and all inside these power flexes? We could save a ton of money if we did it ourselves.

the are fairly simple in most cases the control boards are usually the same for the same model drive and can be replaced
the power modules and caps can be replaced in smaller drives the input bridge end the out drivers (Usually IGBT's are in the same module these modules can simply be unsoldered from the board and replaced.
i would recommend that you send the drive out for repair because you may have more then on problem and it would be hard to trouble shoot
also i noticed that you are using a 380 V system is the drive rated for 380 or 480 v or even 600 v the proper line voltage is important a 480 v drive on a 380 v system could give you an under voltage fault while the drive is working correctly.
for drawings contact Rockwell they may be able to help you

The repairs should be pretty straightforward, most repair shops I personally send my drives out to quote about 12 hours of repair, then few more to test. Does Rockwell give these sheets out to the public or only to authorized repair shops?

I don't think the troubleshooting should be too complicated, especially if there is a procedure to follow and places to ohm different points out to determine where the bad spots are. Some one out there has gotta have something !!!

No, there are no inner fuses. It’s either a bad rectifier diode, a blown capacitor or possibly an open pre-charge resistor (assuming the voltage is correct as previously mentioned).

What size is the drive? Smaller ones are not repairable by average technicians because everything is surface mount technology and IPMs for the power devices. An IPM is a single potted module that contains all of the diodes, transistors and the firing circuits in one device, wave soldered right to the control board. Replacing it (if you have the skills) will cost more than the entire drive is worth. Then you would run the risk of not knowing what caused it in the first place and repeating the damage.

Oops, just noticed it is a 170A drive. That size might be more easily repairable. Measure the DC bus and if there is no voltage showing, it’s an open pre-charge resistor, there is I think a pre-charge board you can buy for that drive. Then the question is, why? Is there a contactor ahead of this drive or is someone opening a disconnect ahead of it every time it is not being used? That would be the likely cause.

Last edited:
... Then the question is, why? Is there a contactor ahead of this drive or is someone opening a disconnect ahead of it every time it is not being used? That would be the likely cause.

Yes, there is a contactor that opens in case of emergency stop.
But, we have frequent power off's and on's in our country, most probably it is behind this damage?

Are there any instructions anywhere on how to repair these drives in-house instead of shipping out to 3rd party repair companies? Where can I get drawings of the control boards and all inside these power flexes? We could save a ton of money if we did it ourselves.

Even repair shops don't usually get the schematics and drawings for the boards and drives they repair.

I have sent unusual things out for repair and asked if they had the service manual for them and always got the response that they didn't need them. They test board components and replace the failed ones - after cleaning and replacing every capacitor on the board.

Plus I was told that a lot of the time the 'replacing every capacitor' part fixes the problem for a few dollars for a couple hundred dollar repair bill.

Even repair shops don't usually get the schematics and drawings for the boards and drives they repair.

I have sent unusual things out for repair and asked if they had the service manual for them and always got the response that they didn't need them. They test board components and replace the failed ones - after cleaning and replacing every capacitor on the board.

Plus I was told that a lot of the time the 'replacing every capacitor' part fixes the problem for a few dollars for a couple hundred dollar repair bill.

Hmm, wow, that's a really good way to try fixing the boards. It would be cool to work under someone for a year or so just to see how the repair process actually goes; that's a key skill to have!!!

We have used a company for some repairs lately that will give a free assessment and quote. You only pay to ship the parts to them. It is my understanding that VFDs are their specialty.

We sent them a power supply from an old chlorine generator (12VDC at 238 amps). And they were able to figure it out and get it fixed. That part saved our customer a ton of money since the machine is so old, the whole thing would have to be replaced if we couldn't fix it.

I don't know what it costs to ship a VFD from Lebanon to Texas...

https://www.industrialdrivemaintenance.com/