What are your opinions on Ethernet to Bluetooth adapters for Business?

ipocket232inc

Interested in comments on the need for Ethernet to Bluetooth devices to extend reach beyond wired Ethernet connection (when WIFI not possible or preferred).
Please comment on price, features, specifications and how it would benefit your application. Are your requirements currently being met by existing devices on the market?

I thought asbout this years ago, but given the range of bluetooth I dismissed it as a viable option.

I just roll with a pocket router and setup a small wifi network when I need it. Works majority of the time unless the place I'm at has very high restrictions on that sort of thing.

I don't think Bluetooth is the right technology.

Version 4 is too limiting; data speed, mesh networking, connection limits. I have not seen the spec for version 5, with better everything but maybe it's different.
You would still need Bluetooth hardware on your phone or laptop, and likely need new hardware for Bluetooth 5 (?).

Ethernet wireless works and is proven. If you need wireless just spend the money.

To me, bluetooth is unlikely to be reliable or allowed anywhere that wifi is not allowed/possible. It uses the same frequency bands, and gets affected by the same sources of interference. It uses spread spectrum hopping to avoid interfering in any one channel, but to me that means that it just interferes with all of them a little bit, as opposed to interfering with one of them a lot.

I have only seen it used once on a stretch wrapper. It was used as a short range bridge to the rotating part of the machine that only had power supplied by a slip ring commutator.

Short range would have to be the application because most big factories are saturated with wireless networking.

Why Bluetooth instead of WiFi? They both use 2.4GHz and WiFi is much more stable and gets better range.

I.T.

In many places if you mention WiFi then I.T. owns it and controls it.
If you say Bluetooth, then it is not in their domain. Electricians can own and control it.

It's different for every site and I'm sure eventually I.T. would just take over Bluetooth setup as well. But for now you might find that advantage of Bluetooth NOT being in the I.T. domain.