1756-rio

angi

Hi guys

there is a SLC 500 controller on the floor, what I am going to do is to remove SLC500 controller and use Contrologix PLC c/w 1756-RIO module to remote control it. can anybody give me some ideas about how to handle the old SLC 500 program?

Thanks

I would look at putting a 1747-AENTR module in the SLC chassis so you can control it over Ethernet/IO instead of RIO.

Read this to learn how to use the translation tool to convert your SLC program to a Logix program. Note, the conversion is not 100%, you will have to run through the program correcting errors and ensuring nothing was missed.

First, you should consider using a 1747-AENTR adapter in the SLC-500 chassis and using ordinary ControlLogix Ethernet modules, unless you have a very good reason use the old RIO protocol network. The 1747-ASB adapter has been out of production since November 2013.

In general, SLC-500 programs can have their basic structures and data tables converted using the Logix 5000 Conversion Tool.

You should also review the hardware installed in that SLC chassis to determine if all the modules are supported by the 1747-ASB or 1747-AENTR.

The SLC/CompactLogix Migration Guide should give you an idea of the issues and tools. Even though it focuses on CompactLogix, the principles are similar.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/1769-ap001_-en-p.pdf

Thanks

I will re- think about it using Ethernet, is it same thing for PLC5? what module I need to use for PLC5?

Thanks

100% with the 1747-AENTR card. I have done both and the AENTR is the way to go.

For the PLC 5 rack, perhaps you could take that up to a control logix rack? There are some pretty good adaptor kits available from AB that assist the wiring conversion from PLC 5 to control logix.

If I had more time I would post part numbers and details. I am pretty sure the links above will lead you there anyways.

Thanks

I will re- think about it using Ethernet, is it same thing for PLC5? what module I need to use for PLC5?

Thanks

PLC5 remote rack is only RIO (1771-ASB), there is no Ethernet equivalent. Any PLC5 remote racks I encounter I am converting to PointIO and currently looking at possibly using the Wago I/O system.

The conversion kit Crammed77 mentions has it's place but it's not cheap.

If your just looking to get the PLC5 on the network you can change the CPU to a Ethernet CPU ?

If you want to look at a program for a CLX running a SLC we did one about 10 years ago and I think I still have it, we pulled a 5/04 and put in a RIO, send me a email or PM and I can send it to you, the AENTR is another good option