RSLogix 5 exporting tag/symbols to RSLogix

redbarron55

I know the title sounds strange, but this week I traveled to one of our sites who uses RSLogix 5 with the PLC-5 (redundant Processors) and they have lost the tag/symbol database for the program that program that will connect to the PLC.
The "Old Program" still shows all of the labels, tag and symbols along with the ladder logic, but will not connect to the PLC.
I know that the tags,symbols and descriptions etc. can be exported and "merged" into the connecting program, but I haven't done it for many many years.
Can anyone direct me to a knowledge base PDF or point me in the right direction.
I would like to accomplish this while I am on this trip the first part of next week.
Any hints as to where to look?

Thanks in advance.

I would just run the PLC5 program through the converter tool to create a new Logix file. Once complete export the tag database from the converted file, and import it into your existing program.

See my link for the manual in this post, pay attention to the requirements of exporting the tags/symbols for proper import into the converter tool.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=700357&postcount=2

I would just run the PLC5 program through the converter tool to create a new Logix file.....

Well, that seems a little drastic to convert a PLC-5 program to a Logix 5000 application (OP never mentioned even owning that software) just to get the documentation.

Try Tools -> Database-> ASCII Export then ASCII Import into the other project..

You can use the Native Import option. Bob O was on the right track, but there is no need to export and then import if you just want to bring the documentation from one program into another. Native Import does it all in one step. The Export then Import step is what you would use if you want to edit the file before you import into the new application.

You should also be able to do this just as part of going online. When there is a mismatch between the file on your computer and the file in the PLC you are given options to:
  • Create a new file - That is what got them in trouble in the first place
  • Upload/Use/Merge - Which is what you can use to merge the documentation you have in your offline file with the logic and data in the controller. You might have to browse to locate the file that has the documentation.

The PLC has a name assigned to it. If the name of the live PLC matches the name of the PLC in your offline file then the Upload/Use/Merge is the way to go. If those names do not match then you would have to use the Native Import option.

OG

Well, that seems a little drastic to convert a PLC-5 program to a Logix 5000 application (OP never mentioned even owning that software) just to get the documentation.

I've been converting too many programs lately....

That makes sense.
I haven't used RSLogix for a long time but I know this can be done.
Some developers were working on an upgrade and pit the site in this problem.
I think that the above:

Upload/Use/Merge - Which is what you can do to merge the documentation you have in your offline file with the logic and dat in the controller. You might have to browse to locate the file that has the documentation.

WIll work for us.
The program is basically unchanged
I spent the week getting a group of 1336 Plus 2 drives to work in ?remote/local with the MOP as the frequency select.
I had to find the select 1 bit to block the stop command when the PLC is running and the drive is selected in the field for local with speed set by the MOP.
It took a little time to find the correct logic etc with no tagnames and labels.
The program that had the tags was opened next to the connected one to find our way..
Thanks, I think this will get us going.