POINTBus Current Limitations 1734-EPAC

ahuberee

I have AB 1734- Point I/O
In this particular case, I intend on using 1734-EPAC module to power adjacent modules (to the right). The manuals express a limit of 1.3A on the POINTBus. Is this 1.3 Amp the total power that can be supplied from the card? I am confused... I found another manual that identifies the PointBus current for each card, but shouldn't that value vary depending on how much load I have on the output modules?

Or maybe there are several buses on the back plane and each bus is rated for 1.3 Amps? If that is the case, how many buses are there?

For reference, power supplies:
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/104830/2416241/104832/Power-Supplies.html

PointBus current consumption:
literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1734-in590_-en-p.pdf

The page you linked explains it pretty well. Look at the tab "I/O adapter and Communication Interface Modules" for a nice picture.

The adapter can control up to 63 modules and supply backplane power for 13 modules. It can also accept 24vdc field power at 10A.

The expansion power supply adds backplane power for an additional 17 modules (that's the 1.3A). This bus is separated from the modules to the left. It can also accept field power up to 10A for the modules to the right. This bus is separated from the modules to the left.