Before have VFD

cabayiro

Hello,
I wanna buy a VFD Shneider (ATV61) for a specific system.
But before buying it I wanna do some tests in RSlogix or any others program (simulation) to know if it will nice for my system or not.
Any idea ?

Thank you

The ATV61 is on its way out, I would not buy one for a new system. Look at the Altivar Process instead.

If you are using hardwired control (start relay, 4-20mA speed reference) then it will work the same as any other drive.

If you want to do control over comms bus, Schneider do communications cards to suit most protocols. The ATV process includes modbus TCP as standard

The ATV61 is on its way out, I would not buy one for a new system. Look at the Altivar Process instead.

If you are using hardwired control (start relay, 4-20mA speed reference) then it will work the same as any other drive.

If you want to do control over comms bus, Schneider do communications cards to suit most protocols. The ATV process includes modbus TCP as standard

Thank you for your answer.
My friend will buy me one, and he doesn't have any card with it.
So, I can use only Modbus TCP ?! and I can't program it and doing some tests before buying it.
Harwired control ? it the first time i hear about this .can you explain more what is that.
Thank you, sir, for your help.

If you have a Rockwell controller such as a ControlLogix or CompactLogix, communicating with a Schneider drive will be a lot more difficult than communicating with a Rockwell drive. Although the hardware medium for Ethernet is the same between Modbus TCP and Ethernet/IP, they do not work in the same way and it requires an interface device, a translator of sorts, between them. If this is something you have never done, it's not going to be simple for you. Rockwell to Rockwell on the other hand is very simple to set up and use, it practically does it by itself.

Thank you for your answer.
My friend will buy me one, and he doesn't have any card with it.
So, I can use only Modbus TCP ?!
[\QUOTE]

Thats with the ATV600 series drives. The ATV61 comes with no built in communications other than modus RTU.

Harwired control ? it the first time i hear about this .can you explain more what is that.

Using the terminals on the drive for control. The PLC can start the drive using a discrete I/O output. A speed reference can be provided by an analog output from your PLC.

If you are not familiar with this then I suggest you contact a licensed electrician...

What model of Rockwell PLC? As Jraef says, you may be better off buying rockwell. Otherwise stick to hard wired if it's a simple application

If you have a Rockwell controller such as a ControlLogix or CompactLogix, communicating with a Schneider drive will be a lot more difficult than communicating with a Rockwell drive. Although the hardware medium for Ethernet is the same between Modbus TCP and Ethernet/IP, they do not work in the same way and it requires an interface device, a translator of sorts, between them. If this is something you have never done, it's not going to be simple for you. Rockwell to Rockwell on the other hand is very simple to set up and use, it practically does it by itself.

So, I can do some tests before buying a Rockwell VFD (PowerFlex for example) using RsLogix ?

Thank for your answer

What model of Rockwell PLC? As Jraef says, you may be better off buying rockwell. Otherwise stick to hard wired if it's a simple application

What i want is any VFD (Rockwell), which can be programmed with anyRockwell PLC and doing some tests before buying it.
it exist ?

Thanks Sir

Last edited:
You want a 30 Day trial version with all the logix all ready written for your application? I dont think it works that. Nothing is free. You need a qualified person to help you.

To put it nicely, you need to contact your R/A rep and be prepared to spend some money with them and a controls electrician as they have more experience at this than you. They will set you up right.

PLCs cannot "program" VFDs. They can talk to them to collect information and send them commands. You will need a PC to program them or do it from their own keypad. If you have Rockwell Studio 5000 it will include the programming software for the Rockwell drives, but you can program them with CCW software then the PLC can be set up to talk to them using lower versions of Logix.

As for testing? What do you mean by that? You can write a program to talk to a drive, but if the drive is not there, what are you going to test?

PLCs cannot "program" VFDs. They can talk to them to collect information and send them commands. You will need a PC to program them or do it from their own keypad. If you have Rockwell Studio 5000 it will include the programming software for the Rockwell drives, but you can program them with CCW software then the PLC can be set up to talk to them using lower versions of Logix.

As for testing? What do you mean by that? You can write a program to talk to a drive, but if the drive is not there, what are you going to test?

I have RsLogix 5000 v20 and Rslogix Emulate 5000 v20.
I want a defined-block (or something like) that plays the same role of VFD, that can give me (feedback frequency) when I send to it (frequency command) via PLC, and if I change the command, the feedback change! ( to control the speed of a motor for example)

Last edited:
I want a defined-block (or something like) that plays the same role of VFD, that can give me (feedback frequency) when I send to it (frequency command) via PLC, and if I change the command, the feedback change! ( to control the speed of a motor for example)
Why don't you try to write a simulation and post it here? That logic will need tobe activated with the start command and deactivated with the stop command. During the active state, the frequency status will have to follow the command frequency through a ramp.