STEP7 "lite"

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

now that Siemens has slashed the price for STEP7 lite to approx 50 EURO (according to a newsletter that I recieved), I wonder if this could open up new opportunities. I am thinking of letting the customer have a copy, maybe service people etc.

So I would like to know what the limitations are when compared to STEP7 "BASIS".
According to Siemens, "lite" is for standalone S7-300 applications only, whatever that means.

1. If a project is made with "lite", will it be possible to access Profibus DP slaves on the onboard DP ports on 314C-2DP for example ?

2. If a project is made with "lite", will it be possible to put a 343-1 Ethernet module in the rack ? In that case I would not configure any connections, but maybe the S7-300 could respond to HMI and OPC access over the ethernet.

3. If a project is made with "lite", will it be possible to program the S7-300 over a 343-1 Ethernet module in the rack ?

4. Is there a way to share programs between "lite" and "BASIS" ? Maybe having to convert to source code first.

BUMP

Absolutely NO takers ?!

Oh well, I guess that I should stop being lazy and figure it out myself 🙃
At that price I can buy a copy to try out. It will just take me some time to do it.

As for Step-7 lite, yesterday is the first I've heard of it. Either I've been in the dark or they aren't promoting it as mush here. As for giving the customer software capabilities... I've seen both sides including such situations as:

1) Emergency trips because they went in and really messed things up.
2) Emergency trips because I had a single coil NO that should be NC and nobody there could do anything about it.
3) Saved trips because I was able to talk the customer through a fix or even sometimes a modification.
4) Customer able to upload software upgrades I've done & sent to them.
5) Customer completely re-writing code from scratch & actually doing a good job at it, but now after the tech who did it is gone wants modifications.
6) A problem arises and both sides blame the other for the code error.

1. One option I was thinking about was to include a "lite" in the package - but without telling the customer about it. Only if the need arises and it suits me will I inform him that he has the software.

2. It would definitely be a grand idea to let our service people have the ability to troubleshoot and to load revised programs.

Hello Jesper;

According to Siemens, "lite" is for standalone S7-300 applications only, whatever that means.
Translation: Step 7 Lite projects access CPU + I/O modules only, no networking/routing of any kind (MPI, Profibus or IE). I remember that the hardware catalog does not even include any CPs and you do not have access top NetPro(we used Lite for basic training a couple of years ago, so this might have changed since).
Taking a project from Basis to Lite is done through exporting of harware configuration (after removing the CPs and networks) and Source files for the program, and re-importing/compiling them in a Lite project.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

I got the info in a newsletter from Siemens Denmark. Its in danish, so it won't be any use for you.
But here is the type number for the latest version 3.0:
6ES7810-3CC07-0YA5

Got to go now, weekend.

Pssst, Dan ...

Here's today's new thing to learn - your first 'to' should have another 'o' ..
Oh, wait a minute, I've just realised, that was the joke, right?

Duh!

Ken