Can this be done

loundeb2

Hello,
I have a SLC504 connected to a Panelmate via a DH+ interface of unknown brand. It's suddenly losing comm often and i would like to know if i could eliminate the interface, change the channel 0 settings in the PLC and HMI to DF1 and plug a serial cable between them as a temporary fix? Or will the SLC504 not communicate with the Panelmate via it's 232 port?

Thank You,
Lou

Haven't done this myself, but I know at least some of the Panelmates can talk DF1. Should be possible assuming your Panelmate has the right drivers.

The serial port can also be changed to DH485, so if your Panelmate does not support DF1 but does DH485, you may be able to go that route.

We did that very thing on a mixer in our plant. It has a panelmate talking to a 502 by DH485. We had a spare screen that did not have DH485 installed as an option, so we threw in a 503 and went serial with the screen until we could figure out how to install the 485 option. Be careful though, we run the older 1775/1785 panelmates and you can only run a three pin serial cable (RX and TX pins 2 and 3 crossed and ground pin 5 connected straight through). If you try a regular serial cable it won't work for some reason. Not sure if that got cured from the 2000's on up, but on the 1785's and down they only talk with the 3 pin cable.

We're using a PanelMate EPro PS HMI to a SLC 5/04 using DH+ with a Datalink Technologies interface. I believe the interface has failed and want to connect the HMI serial COM1 directly to the plc RS232 port. The HMI jumpers are configured for RS232 on COM1. Can I just connect a female 232 null modem cable between them? Could someone provide a step by step to get these communicating?

Thank You,
Lou