V36 Studio 5000.... What have they done...

arpus4KM

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just a small rant incase nobody downloaded or noticed yet.... but working on a new project in the latest version so I could test out FT Echo (Which actually works pretty well for what it is).

MOV is now MOVE
LEQ is now LE
LES is now LT
etc etc etc....

why in gods name would they change the instructions now? do they realize how many people have built Excel files and macros using the specific text names to build logic externally? going to be a lot of annoyed programmers.

Updated instruction mnemonics
In this version of the Logix Designer application, the mnemonics for these instructions have been updated to align with IEC 61131-3 and PLCopen standards.
Arc Cosine: ACS ->ACOS
Arc Sine: ASN->ASIN
Arc Tangent: ATN->ATAN
Convert to BCD: TOD ->TO_BCD
Convert to Integer: FRD -> BCD_TO
Equal To: EQU -> EQ
Greater Than: GRT -> GT
Greater Than or Equal To: GEQ -> GE
Less Than or Equal To: LEQ -> LE
Less Than: LES -> LT
Limit: LIM -> LIMIT
Move: MOV -> MOVE
Not Equal To: NEQ -> NE
Square Root: SQR -> SQRT
Truncate: TRN -> TRUNC
X to the Power of Y: XPY -> EXPT

https://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=137755

Updated instruction mnemonics
In this version of the Logix Designer application, the mnemonics for these instructions have been updated to align with IEC 61131-3 and PLCopen standards.
Arc Cosine: ACS ->ACOS
Arc Sine: ASN->ASIN
Arc Tangent: ATN->ATAN
Convert to BCD: TOD ->TO_BCD
Convert to Integer: FRD -> BCD_TO
Equal To: EQU -> EQ
Greater Than: GRT -> GT
Greater Than or Equal To: GEQ -> GE
Less Than or Equal To: LEQ -> LE
Less Than: LES -> LT
Limit: LIM -> LIMIT
Move: MOV -> MOVE
Not Equal To: NEQ -> NE
Square Root: SQR -> SQRT
Truncate: TRN -> TRUNC
X to the Power of Y: XPY -> EXPT

https://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=137755

yeah, it just feels like a big change to a small things that's been there for a very long time. More time spent trying to conform to standards, and less time making their inferior products better (ccw)

I have to agree. What is the point in aligning the names to IEC 61131-3 when no other part of the controller is compliant. It is not like we can copy and paste logic between other platforms that are based on IEC 61131-3.

Meanwhile in v36 we get a half-assed implementation of OPC. While I really, really appreciate the OPC support, it is very immature and poorly implemented.

EDIT: Still waiting for LINT support for most instructions....

I downloaded V36 last night, but I'll wait till these 2 projects I have going are done before installing. I've had Rockwell surprises before, and I could do without another for a good 3 weeks. Some may know...

Tim Wilborn made a video on it. Old programs will auto update the instructions which changed automatically. If you ever need to downgrade, to a lower revision, you have to find and replace every LT with LES etc in an L5k export manually. The process to downgrade is in his video.

Personally, I HATE LT, and LQ. LES and LEQ were superior and intuitive. If they wanted to hop on the european bandwagon, they should have given us the ability to turn that on and off, or give us the ability where both commands still work like an alias.

I program by double clicking the rung and typing in the instructions. I also have years of automation scripts they just broke. I'll get over it, but i think it was a half-tailed upgrade for sure.

I feel like they were trying to make the complainers happy, and they stirred the hornets nest. Hopefully they pick up on the alias idea above.

I guess when your game is selling wildly overpriced software to the same people over and over in perpetuity, you have to introduce the occasional obtrusive modification so that people can rest assured that what they paid for this time isn't technically the exact same thing they paid for last time.

Personally, I think it's about damn time they become compliant with the standards. Especially the standards they helped define!

If they would have done this when the standards were introduced, there wouldn't be as much complaining.