WonderWare access to Remote Micrologix

reese006

I am trying to access 2 Micrologix's that are connected to a cell modem via a Remote HMI station running WonderWare. So my path is

HMI -> WAN -> Modem -> LAN -> PLCs

I am assuming I need to use Port Forwarding on the Modem to point to the PLC's? However not sure how to set Wonderware up to look at a specific port on the modem. I am also assuming that if I have RSLinx on the HMI it would NOT be able to see the PLC's?

I believe most peoples preferred way is to use establish a VPN connection through the cell modem. If you use a VPN, the WAN->WAN traffic is encrypted and, if set up properly, Wonderware will just treat the remote PLCs as normal LAN traffic with a LAN IP address.

It is possible to use port forwarding to accomplish this...but unless you have a static WAN IP on your cellular modem, your address is likely to change frequently.

There is also the security concern around opening ports from the internet directly to your PLC. In short...don't do it. Anyone with a port scanner could find you and access your PLC.

Any decent cellular router can do VPN these days. I would strongly recommend that approach.