How to connect wonderware intouch with ms access

crazy

Hi,

I would like to know as how to get the data of some of the parameters such as temperature/ pressure/ date/ time created in wonderware intouch to the ms access (database table). Could anybody guide me to how to do this with the steps by steps process. i want to see the values of such parameter in the ms access ...Please guide anyone....Please let me know as how do configure and achieve the data in ms access....how it can be accomplished....please guide me.....

Thanks in advance

I seen it done many years ago. You will need to sort out the details but basically you use the inTouch build in SQL interface command, setup a ODBC connection to Access then point your SQL command in inTouch to the ODBC connection.

Check their web site, they have a document and demo for doing just that.
But in short:
- Install the SQL access object with Intouch.
- Create the Bind List. This sets up what tag is bound to what column in the table.
- Next you connect using SQLConnect. Use a DSN (Data Source Name) setup using OBBC in Windows. If your using 64 bit OS make sure you run the 64 bit version.
- You can write data two different ways. First way is a simple SQLInsert into the table. But over time this function causes memory leaks in the operating system and the PC may lockup. Second is to do a SQLInsertPrepare and then SQLInsertExecute to store the data. This method has no memory leaks.
- Be sure to close out the connections before exiting Intouch.

I would suggest you go with SQL database vs MSAccess. You will run into file access issues as the file size grows.

I would suggest you go with SQL database vs MSAccess. You will run into file access issues as the file size grows.

SQL is always a better solution. Then just use access for the front end.
I found in the past when access (97) after 750 million records in one table it starts to choke real bad. To the point of crashing the PC.
Also with SQL you can use the OPC object, then you don't need to use those pesky ODBC names.

Hi crazy,

Depending on the version of InTouch you are using, you may have access to various ArchestrA graphics that would provide a basic view to the data. There are various trends and a new "Trend Pen" graphic that gives a short time view of the parameter value. If a simple view is all you require, that may be a solution without additional software.

Alternatively, as mentioned above by another user, there is a Tutorial online that walks through a basic demonstration of connecting InTouch to Wonderware Historian/SQL. It is a bit dated (in the process of being updated), but still available here: http://gts.invensys.com/Courses/Getting_Started_with_InSQL_Server_Historian/index.htm

Using Wonderware Historian will avoid the performance limitations mentioned above and is designed to work with InTouch for the very purpose you mention. Wonderware Historian also has the benefit of having a "Demo" mode. By installing the Historian software unlicensed, you can use it for up to 32 tags with a 7 day retrieval limit. Depending on the number of tags and length of data you require, that may offer an easy trial/test for your project.

In addition, you may find other materials available on the Global Customer Support site here: http://softwaresupport.schneider-electric.com/

I would also recommend reaching out to a local Wonderware representative in India, they may be able to offer additional assistance: https://www.wonderware.com/contact-sales/

Regards,

Jeremy