Overhead Display Options

Freak

Hi All - I am after some alternatives to AB's 2706P42RSC (4 displays total). I have an existing setup and was planning on mirroring it but once I saw the prices I thought I need to look at alternatives. The idea is that the display needs to provide production counts as well as fault message indication on a production line, need to be able to read them from 50-60 meters. One alternative I am considering is a couple of 50inch TV's and a scada package to run them.
My setup will be a CLX communicating over Ethernet.
Cheers
Peter

I use the Automation Direct message boards with an RTA Automation Logix Gateway to make things simple, they work well together.

The TV would probably work, of course you have to add a computer. If you go that route, check out Archie's "Advanced HMI" here .

If you use a TV and have WiFi, this is a neat tiny PC that can run an HMI application:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Comput...1,p_n_operating_system_browse-bin:12035945011

The first generation was able to be powered from a USB port off the TV, but I'm not sure if that is still true with the latest version.

There are other low cost MircoPCs (e.g. WinTel) with a hard Ethernet port, but I know none of them can power directly from the TV USB port, they need a separate power supply. About 6 months ago I put one in a harsh, hot, and dirty environment to see if it could stand up and so far it is still being used 24/7

I've used these before with success. I needed two of the stainless versions on Ethernet, and they weren't cheap either, but they looked good and did the job.

That being said, if I was in a less harsh environment (these were on a mine site in the middle of outback 'straya, in a tin shed full of toxic powder and excavators), I would have preferred to use a TV, micro PC and a lightweight HMI application as well.

I've used the MD4-0224T ViewMarq displays from AutomationDirect. These are two line displays but can also be configured to be one line with larger text. Visibility is great, I would say 50-60 meters would be no issue.

These won't communicate natively using Ethernet but I was using Ethernet based Point IO in my system so just added a 1734-232ASC serial module to the rack and it was a breeze to set up.

These are MUCH cheaper than the AB equivalents you linked. You should be able to get an Ethernet Point IO adapter, RS232 module and ViewMarq display for less than one of the AB displays.

Hi All - will look at the displays suggested. I was thinking of AdvancedHMI, so I have finally downloaded it and tried it. I think it took 10 minutes to have something up and I am a complete newbie to VB.
Nice and easy to use. Most likely this is the solution, I will probably set it up to run as a web page.
Thanks for the suggestions.