CompactLogix serial numbers don't match

Joho

I just purchased (online) a CompactLogix L30ER, from what I think is a reputable seller. I recorded the serial number off the side of the unit, which matched what was on the box. Then I plugged it in and looked at its device properties in RSLinx. I also started CompactFlash since it's new and will need a firmware update. Both of these software tools report a serial number that matches each other, but DOES NOT match what is physically printed on the side of the L30ER.

I'm worried I got some knockoff part. Is my concern legitimate? Or is the serial number on the side supposed to be different than the one reported by RSLinx? Note that I have not yet updated the firmware.

I disconnected and checked a test PLC (L35E) and the serial numbers matched. But we've had this one forever and updated firmware several times.

Would really value any feedback here.

Thanks

I'd be really surprised if true "knockoff" AB PLCs existed but I would not be surprised if a third party (esp. eBay) seller sold a "refurbished" model that they Frankenstein fixed themselves out of parts laying around

I hadn't thought of that... but if it was Frankensteined together someone did an absolutely flawless job. The unit is pristine. No tool marks, scratches, etc. Of course I can't speak to what's inside.

Would it be possible to reload the original boot firmware if one was to "refurbish"? I've never even thought to try such a thing.

Did it come sealed in the original box?

Frankensteining in this case may just mean someone dropped the one that donated its guts to the flawless case of one that had its guts fail for whatever reason.

Go ahead and flash the firmware and see if the correct serial number shows up. If it doesn't I'd send it back to the seller for a refund out of an abundance of caution.

Uh oh... I just noticed something. There is also an ASA number printed on the PLC. This number matches what is recorded by RSLinx and CompactFlash. What the heck is the ASA number?

Still a good sign...

OK... new info. I think the crisis is averted. But hopefully this can help someone down the road.

I found some random bulletin online regarding product safety concerns in a 1734 module. They list the affected products by ASA number. What is relevant to this thread, though, is that the document also has the following useful info about ASA numbers:

ASA is a "network" serial number, which is apparently used to identify the product on the network... go figure. The ASA number is what appears in RSLinx and CompactFlash dialog boxes in the field labeled "Serial Number". The document also says that the ASA number is DIFFERENT from the product serial number.

So that's a bit confusing, and I still don't know what ASA stands for. But I think it alleviates my concerns. Going to proceed with flashing, as suggested! (thanks bjh)

BTW... yes it came in a factory sealed box, as far as I can tell.