CompactLogix L32E and L43 serial port communication

okodrzwi

Hello.
I am trying to establish communication between CompactLogix 1769-L32E and CompactLogix 1768-L43 using serial port but with DeviceNet (and in other case scenario EthernetIP) protocol. I was able to set up a MSG Data Table Read instruction and send via serial port but from what i understand it uses DF1 protocol (my path is: 2,1). Is there any other instruction I can use, that utilizes DeviceNet (EthernetIP) and is there some way (even some non Allen Bradley software), to actually see received CAN(TCP/IP)frame to confirm what protocol was used.

@Okodrzwi :
Your best option is to use Ethernet/IP to communicate both PLCs.
Look for produced/consume tags that is the way to go, or you can use message to exchange data between them.

Thank you, I am aware I can do this, but my goal is to use serial port and I don't know if there is a way to incorporate Devicenet or Ethernet IP protocol to communicate through it.

Short answer no.

Long answer no. Unless you want to introduce additional hardware to handle the protocol conversion, then a qualified maybe but the added complexity seems like a 'Bad Idea'.

Thank you for clarifying. I was running out of ideas and didn't know if I overlooked some feature or simply it couldn't be done.

Why would you wish to do this, when Ethernet is available on both controllers ?

You can use DeviceNet to bridge between two DF1 Full Duplex serial ports, using the obsolete 1761-NET-DNI network interfaces. The MSG instructions require nothing but a DF1 destination node number; the Net-DNI will transport the packet to the Net-DNI with an equivalent DeviceNet node number.

The DeviceNet interface modules that go into the backplanes of those CompactLogix (1769-SDN) allow only a limited amount of "PCCC encapsulation" messaging. I don't think you could send a CIP Tag Read or Tag Write between the controllers through those modules.

You can also use EtherNet/IP to bridge between two DF1 Full Duplex serial ports, by using the DF1 node map feature in the obsolete 1761-NET-ENI interface device. There are details in the user manual and the configuration utility that describe how to link a DF1 destination node number to an IP address.

Is this a school project, or are you working on two older installed and operating CompactLogix systems ?

It is a school project. I was given a task to discuss methods of data exchange between controllers through serial port in DeviceNet and Ethernet network and create application performing such communication. After reading various documentations it seemed impossible without using some kind of external hardware (like mentioned in the earlier post). My understanding of this as it is right now:
1)Using serial port, I can choose between DF-1, DH+ and some other protocols but not DeviceNet nor EthernetIP.
2) Using Ethernet port, I can only use EthernetIP protocol.
Instead of describing what I thought coundn't be done, I am doingPLC communication utilizing Ethernet port and EthernetIP protocol (CIP Data Table Read/Write, Produced/Consumed Tags) and serial port (CIP Data Table Read/ Write) using DF-1 protocol.