Old panelview plus 400 with Compactlogix L32E

elya97

Hello .
Info: Panelview plus 400 2711P-K4M20D
Compactlogix 1769-l32E

i make a program in RSlogix 5000 and Factorytalk view for HMi, i download the .mer file to PanelView and the program to plc

but i want to communicate the panelview with Compactlogix with ethernet and she didn't works

if you have any help I will greatly appreciated your help

Hello and welcome to the forum. For future reference, please try to explain what isn't working. What are the error messages you are seeing? Including screen shots helps a lot. "It doesn't work" doesn't give us much information to try to help you.

In FactoryTalk View software you need to create a Device Shortcut to your PLC. This is done in View Studio by accessing RSLinx Enterprise (in newer versions it is called FactoryTalk Linx). If you've gotten as far as creating the .MER file then I am guessing you have figured out that you need to do this. But what most people miss is that you need to copy the Design configuration to the Runtime configuration.

The Design tab is where you configure how your computer will communicate with the PLC during development of your application.

The Runtime tab is where you configure how the PV+ will communicate with the PLC. Usually, your computer and the PV+ will use the same method (such as Ethernet) so they have a button to copy your design configuration over to the runtime configuration. Click on that, apply your changes, click OK to close that window and then re-create your .MER file.

OG

Me Linx.png

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum. For future reference, please try to explain what isn't working. What are the error messages you are seeing? Including screen shots helps a lot. "It doesn't work" doesn't give us much information to try to help you.

In FactoryTalk View software you need to create a Device Shortcut to your PLC. This is done in View Studio by accessing RSLinx Enterprise (in newer versions it is called FactoryTalk Linx). If you've gotten as far as creating the .MER file then I am guessing you have figured out that you need to do this. But what most people miss is that you need to copy the Design configuration to the Runtime configuration.

The Design tab is where you configure how your computer will communicate with the PLC during development of your application.

The Runtime tab is where you configure how the PV+ will communicate with the PLC. Usually, your computer and the PV+ will use the same method (such as Ethernet) so they have a button to copy your design configuration over to the runtime configuration. Click on that, apply your changes, click OK to close that window and then re-create your .MER file.

OG

Thank for reply

for more info :

i add device shortcuts and i copy from design to runtime . i creat runtime (.mer) application with the same firmware 5.10 . i download it to panelview

for communication i use ethernet straight through cable

my compactlogix ip is 192.168.1.11

my panel view 192.168.1.13

my laptop ip (TCP/IP) 192.168.1.230

communication between laptop and plc : good
communication between laptop and panelview: good
communication between plc and panelview : not work

OG

some pictures :
https://ibb.co/myr5Vy9
https://ibb.co/Tg8RVWz
https://ibb.co/py58Q86
If you need any more information, I'm ready
when i run the application in panel view nothing works the buttons are not responding and gives me error message

Last edited:
Thank you for the added detail. You mentioned the straight through style ethernet cable....I am assuming you are connecting through an Ethernet switch of some sort rather than directly connecting the PLC to the PV terminal.

When connecting directly, it is usually necessary to use a crossover cable instead of a straight through cable. Some devices can detect if you are connecting directly and adapt so that you can use either cable type. However not all devices support this capability. Most computers sold in at least the last five years support this. But, I don't know if the devices you are using have this capability. If you are connecting via a switch then it is not an issue, but if you are connecting directly I would suggest using a crossover cable.

Assuming that is not the issue, are you able to use the Test Application feature to run the application on your computer? Does it work there or does it give you errors?

OG

EDIT: I just looked it up and the CompactLogix and the PV+ do not have this feature. It is called Auto-MDIX. So connecting these devices directly would require a crossover cable. But when you plug your laptop into either one, any cable would work successfully.

Last edited:
Thank you for the added detail. You mentioned the straight through style ethernet cable....I am assuming you are connecting through an Ethernet switch of some sort rather than directly connecting the PLC to the PV terminal.

When connecting directly, it is usually necessary to use a crossover cable instead of a straight through cable. Some devices can detect if you are connecting directly and adapt so that you can use either cable type. However not all devices support this capability. Most computers sold in at least the last five years support this. But, I don't know if the devices you are using have this capability. If you are connecting via a switch then it is not an issue, but if you are connecting directly I would suggest using a crossover cable.

Assuming that is not the issue, are you able to use the Test Application feature to run the application on your computer? Does it work there or does it give you errors?

OG

EDIT: I just looked it up and the CompactLogix and the PV+ do not have this feature. It is called Auto-MDIX. So connecting these devices directly would require a crossover cable. But when you plug your laptop into either one, any cable would work successfully.

yes this is what i notice , you right
some picture:
https://ibb.co/F05JKT8 between plc and panelview
https://ibb.co/TRW2rqh between plc and laptop
https://ibb.co/CMSMP6h cable what i need

if you notice no led on between plc and PV+
i will make this cable or buy it
i will update any news. thank you sir for helping me
adit: what about panelview ip that i have it is ok with plc?

Last edited:
Glad I could help! Yes, the IP addresses look good.

If you have an Ethernet switch available you wouldn't need any new cabling. It doesn't have to be anything special. An inexpensive switch will work just fine for testing purposes.

OG

Glad I could help! Yes, the IP addresses look good.

If you have an Ethernet switch available you wouldn't need any new cabling. It doesn't have to be anything special. An inexpensive switch will work just fine for testing purposes.

OG

Which ethernet swtich would you recommend me to buy it. because i don't have information about that

Any Ethernet switch that is readily available. I'm not sure what you might have available locally. But for simple testing purposes I would not spend more than $20-30 US dollars. Something like this (Amazon link)

But that would really only be for testing purposes. Something I would keep in my bag or at my desk. For a production system, get the crossover cable or look into an inexpensive switch rated for an industrial environment. Phoenix Contact, Moxa, Rockwell (Stratix 2000), and many others make these types of switches. These are all much more expensive though.

OG

Last edited:
Any Ethernet switch that is readily available. I'm not sure what you might have available locally. But for simple testing purposes I would not spend more than $20-30 US dollars. Something like this (Amazon link)

But that would really only be for testing purposes. Something I would keep in my bag or at my desk. For a production system, get the crossover cable or look into an inexpensive switch rated for an industrial environment. Phoenix Contact, Moxa, Rockwell (Stratix 2000), and many others make these types of switches. These are all much more expensive though.

OG

thank very much sir . that was very helpful

it works now . i change cable diagram manualy from straight through ethernet cable to crossover ethernet cable and it work now