CompactLogix L32E Flashing

Christoph

Hello again. I need to flash a CompactLogix L32E from firmware ver15
to 16. It has several Panelview Plus's Series D Rev A, connected via Ethernet. And it has remote I/O via Devicenet Point I/O. Will I have any issues with these
pieces of hardware?

I would not expect any issues. The PanelView really doesn't really care what version your controller is using. The DeviceNet devices are talking with your DeviceNet Scanner so they shouldn't care either.

The one thing to watch out for is that in version 16 the controller WALLCLOCK object changed. Prior to v16 the DATETIME attribute showed you the date and time in your controller.

In version 16 they added a new attribute called LOCALDATETIME. This new attribute stores your time based on time zone and daylight savings. So it is your locally adjusted date and time. The DATETIME attribute in version 16 and newer is now storing the current UTC time. This is the new version of Greenwich Mean Time.

So anywhere in your code that is using DATETIME you would want to replace that with LOCALDATETIME. When changing your application from v15 or older to v16 or newer you will see a warning appear regarding this change.

Failing to make this change could have your logic using the wrong time. For me, the time would be off by 6 hours if I neglected to update my logic.

OG

Tried taking the plc program up to version 20 ahead of time and all the controller tags were gone. then I tried going just to 17 and they were gone as well. Any ideas?

You mean after you flashed, the tags were gone? I think when you flash the processor it loses its program, so you will have to convert the PLC program to whatever revision you need and download it to the PLC again.

No I have not flashed the processor yet I was just prepping the program before flashing.
And when I change the rev to 20 or even 17 I lose all the controller tags.

Sorry about that, misread what you said. One thing I typically do is save the program as an .L5K and open it up in notepad (or any text editor) and change all the instances of the old revision to the new one. I then import this as a new project. I think the revision shows up two times in the text file, maybe more. I'll take some screenshots and post it in another reply.

can I do an export of the tags from the original pgm. then just import to the new higher version pgm? I have not tried this yet.
Or why is this happening. I have never had this happen before?

Last edited:
You probably could do an import/export, but just for reference I've attached a screenshot of what I was referring to. In this example I was actually upgrading a ControlLogix 1756-L55 to a 1756-L71, but I was also changing the revision of the program. As you can see at the top, the "v16.05" wasn't changed between files, as this is only for information I believe. However, the Major under the CONTROLLER was changed from 16 to 24 (along with ProcessorType being changed from 1756-L55 to 1756-L71, but again this will work without changing the ProcessorType). Then the Major and Minor under MODULE Local were changed from 16 and 23 respectively to 24 and 11. Then do a Save As, naming it OriginalProgramNameHere_V24.L5K (or whatever revision you're using). Then import the .L5K as a new project. This worked perfectly for me on this specific project, and has been running now since last spring without issue.

Capture.PNG

OK then theres this. All my ladders are intact with all taq names in place. If i highlight the tag name and right click and select go to monitor It goes to the list and I can see it and all the tag names. But if I go to the controller tag folder and open it there is only like 5 tags.

OK then theres this. All my ladders are intact with all taq names in place. If i highlight the tag name and right click and select go to monitor It goes to the list and I can see it and all the tag names. But if I go to the controller tag folder and open it there is only like 5 tags.

Are you sure they're not Program Tags? In the Controller Organizer under each program above the actual routines there should be Program Tags, check if they're in there.

Nope same thing with all tags controller and program. I miss stated earlier that it was
just controller tags affected it is both. But in the logic everything is there with
the tag names. Weird!

Nope same thing with all tags controller and program. I miss stated earlier that it was
just controller tags affected it is both. But in the logic everything is there with
the tag names. Weird!

I assume it's giving you errors for all the rungs because the tags don't exist? If so, exporting them from the old program and importing them in the new program should be the easiest way to go.

No they appear defined when you hover over it it gives you all the tag info, and like I said earlier if you right click and select monitor it takes you to the tag list and I can see all the tags.

Do you have a filter on the tags, and are you showing all? This is located above where the tags would normally display.

filter banner.jpg