Micrologix 1500 LRP to 1761-Net-Eni

Controls Tech

I have searched for hours trying to find an answer in the threads some seem to come close to my issue but not exact. I am trying to communicate with a Micrologix 1500 LRP 24BWA with an 1761-NET-ENI Ethernet interface I have configured and downloaded information to the module cycled power connected the module to the LRP base with 1761 cbl-am-00. This cable will power up the module when I open linx I can see the module(connected with a patch cable) but not the Micrologix baud rate between the two device are set the same. Is there a way to set an ip address to the micrologix so I can set it as a host in the ENI utility? Am I suppose to be able to get online with the controller or just use it as for messaging? Or am I going about this the wrong way? I do plain on adding a switch and router just want to test my connections before I start making it more complicated. I am also configuring the module with a USB to serial to 1761-CBL-PM02. I am attempting to avoid using the message instruction in logix or upgrading to a different controller for right now, this is just working on a test lab at my home. Thanks in advance.

The configuration you describe *should* allow you to see the MicroLogix in your RSWho browse inside RSLinx, and go online with it using RSLogix 500.

Are you using the default serial settings for both the MicroLogix and the Net-ENI ? You only said that "the settings are the same".

The defaults are 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, CRC Error Checking, DF1 Full Duplex, no handshaking.

There is no IP address in the MicroLogix, just its ordinary DF1 address. It should work fine if you use the DCOMM default comms setting button.

Yes both baud rates are set at 19200,not sure what you are referring to when you say 8/N/1 framing. I have noticed that I mess with something in the Micrologix that I have to hit the auto configure button in order to go online with it now, this happened when I was attempting t set the controller driver to AB ETH-2, AB ETH-1 & 2 in linx can see the ENI module. Should I be able to ping the ENI module if connected through a path cable? Cause I can`t.Patch cable* also there is no handshaking and Error Checking it set to CRC

Last edited:
You should definitely be able to PING the Net-ENI, and you should be able to open its embedded Web page in a browser.

In general I prefer to disable BOOTP/DHCP and set the Net-ENI IP address manually with the serial utility. I think I see BOOTP/DHCP enabled on your utility screenshot.

If you have BOOTP enable, every time you unplug the Net-ENI from the utility to plug it into the MicroLogix (which is powering it up via the AM-00 cable) then it will go back to requesting an IP address from the BOOTP Utility or a BOOTP server.

Kinda strange that linx can see it but I can not ping it correct. I change the BOOTP/DHCP also, i am able to upload and download settings as I want to in the Net-ENI Utility. Tried to change the IP address and linx picked up on it but still cant ping it

Last edited:
I was looking at the screenshot of your RSLinx Classic drivers.

Of course it makes sense that the DF1 driver won't see the MicroLogix after you disconnect the MicroLogix from the USB/Serial adapter and cable.

It's definitely not right that you can't PING the Net-ENI.

I noticed that the driver that appears to "see" the 1761-NET-ENI is the EtherNet/IP driver.

That driver can browse and get a basic "identity" response from devices even when they aren't on the same IP subnet. Once it gets that basic identity listing response, RSLinx makes an ordinary TCP connection in order to query more information from the device.

If your computer doesn't have an IP address on the 192.168.0.xxx subnet, that would explain why you can't PING the Net-ENI and why RSLinx can't make an ordinary TCP connection to it that would allow it to pass commands to the Net-ENI to be translated and sent across the serial link.

So do an IPCONFIG -ALL to see what the IP address for your computer is. If you generally just plug it into the office network (or turn on the WiFi), you need to go back and set it up for a static IP address on the wired Ethernet network.

I went ahead and set up a router with the system and linx can "see" the NET-ENI when I am connected to the router, so I am sure I have everything in the ENI utility set up correct. I am confused about what I need to set my computers ip address for. IPCONFIG/ALL not connected to anything, no address is given. When I am connected to the router and IPCONFIG/ALL and looks like I get the routers address. Not sure if I am setting this up correct or not, usually on the wiring and software side of this stuff not IT side, but that why I set up this lil project

I go to the 4(TCP/IPV4) Properties window in my computer and do the following.
click "Use the following IP address".

"IP ADDRESS" =...I assume this should be the computers address.
"Subnet Mask" = 255.255.etc...auto entered
"Default Gateway" = I assume this should be the routers address.

In general, it sounds like you have the basics for a static IP setup.

IP Address = 192.168.0.x where X is between 0 and 254, and is not the same as the Net-ENI's address.

Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0 because all the octets except the last one should be the same.

Default Gateway = the router's IP address.

If you set up both your computer and the Net-ENI for BOOTP/DHCP, they will generally get IP addresses automatically from the router so you won't have to set up a static IP if you're just connecting these together for experimentation.

This is very ordinary PC networking stuff; there are many thousands of books and tutorials on TCP/IP protocol and computer networking.

Ok i have finally been able to ping the Net- ENI now when I connect the micrologix 1500 LRP there is no communication going on. Baud rate on both is set to 19200 micrologix 1500 is still set to AB_DF1-1 Driver in the Controller Communication tab.

Page 3-8 of the Net-ENI user manual describes the *VERY* unusual method of connecting the Net-ENI to a computer's serial port and going online with Ethernet devices. Don't do this.

The previous page shows an illustration of the Ethernet Devices driver, with a MicroLogix 1500 connected to a Net-ENI as the last device on the list.

What you've been doing so far is good: you have the Net-ENI configured properly, and now that you have your computer's Ethernet port configured you should be able to browse the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Classic and see the Net-ENI with the MicroLogix 1500 identity instead of just identifying itself as a Net-ENI.

Once that works, you can configure RSLogix 500 to use the EtherNet/IP driver to connect to the MicroLogix controller.

Don't use the DF1 driver... that USB/Serial device has been unplugged from the MicroLogix, right ?

Yes I have the USB/Serial device unplugged the only connections I currently have is 1761-cbl-AM00 connected to the mini RS-232 ports between the micologix and the Net-ENI module(cable also powering the ENI) and a patch cable between the router and Net-ENI. Driver that is currently "seeing" the ENI is AB_ETHIP-2,ETHERNET. Not sure if this makes a difference or not but not connected to the Micologix currently and it still showS up under the AB_DF1-1,DH-485 (NODE 01)not detected just red x on it, as does my laptop "work station"(NODE 00)(DF1-COM3).

Last edited:
The DF1 driver is still in place but there's a red X over the MicroLogix icon because your computer can't communicate with the MicroLogix over that USB/Serial adapter... because it's unplugged.

You need to use only the EtherNet/IP driver.

Does it show an icon and label that shows the Net-ENI only, or does it now identify it as a MicroLogix 1500 with the MicroLogix program name ?

The next step is to go into RSLogix 500 software and configure it to use the Ethernet driver and point to the MicroLogix using that driver.