Devicenet - 1747-SDN w/ 1336-GM6

JohnnyQuanex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello board,

Quick poll: has anyone ever ruined all their 1336-GM6 communication modules on a network by unplugging the dnet terminal while powered up?

I've got six of them that went bad all at once... We were pulling terminal to check nodes yesterday and then after awhile all my 1336 drive nodes went into Network Failure on the Status LED for the network...

I had three new cards and they fixed three of the drives; now waiting on three more.

My question is: Am I correct in assuming that I ruined these cards by unplugging dnet terminals while powered up?

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
They'll fault, of course, when you remove the DeviceNet plug. But they won't be damaged.

I've commissioned hundreds of 1336-GM6 modules, and hot-plugged virtually all of them multiple times. DeviceNet nodes are completely proofed against reverse wiring or network-to-power up to about 30 V DC.

I've seen them damaged when the network conductors get crossed with 120V or 480V in MCC buckets, but they absolutely won't be damaged by 24V.

Thanks Ken,

My problem is that I cannot see them on the RSLinx at all... I can see all the other (non-1336) nodes and I can configure them on RSNetworx...

I replaced three of the six comm cards and those three node became visible on RSLinx again...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Make sure they didn't get re-adressed to Node 63 !

I had that happen a few times. If you inadvertently do a parameter download to the GM6 that includes the default node address, it does not take effect until the next power cycle on the DNet side.

If that happens to multiple GM6 modules (or similar devices like the first generation E3 overload relay), only one device will show up as Node 63 and all the others will fault as Duplicate Nodes.

The most common cause of this is somebody clicking "download to network" when the RSNetworx file contains default parameter sets for the drives or overloads. The software dutifully downloads the default parameters, and the mousetrap is set for months or years later when the power is cycled.

I agree:. Plugging only one in at a time is the only way to be certain which one you are connecting to with RSNetworx.
Be sure that your RSLinx station is not using up Node 63 as well.

Node 63 is the default node for any device that comes out of the box or is reset to defaults.

When you plug into the network with a 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD or 1784-U2DHP device, RSLinx has to get a node number using that device as well.

I always set RSLinx as Node 62, so that it doesn't prevent me from seeing any default devices on the network.

If you're browsing through a PLC backplane to see the network, the messages are all just being sent by the PLC scanner module. It can be very slow to browse the whole network until it gets around to looking at Node 63, so be patient.

I got the dnet working, no errors... My line still isn't working though. I cannot even connect to my SLC 500 controller... I thought I was done, but I'm not...

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks,

John

I got connected finally... (It was just a poor connection adapter device...)

So I got online...

I see the 1747-SDN on my I/O Read List...

I don't understand why my system isn't working...

This line worked before all this trouble...

Here's what I've done throughout this whole mess:

1. Change the 1747-SDN scanner card... (Which wasn't actually the problem...)
2. Reset on the node numbers (not sure if they are same as they were before, but now they are on the network and I have DNET errors...)

None of my DNET device are operating (at all) even though there are no errors and there is a program in the PLC...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Maybe stupid but did you download the scanlist ,assigned prope nodes to your DNET devices, etc as you mentioned you have swapped DNET scanner and all that?
It's been ages since I done any DNET work.

The 1747-SDN has to be configured separately from the SLC-500 program that you write in RSLogix 500.

The configuration and Scanlist are loaded into nonvolatile memory on that Scanner module by RSNetworx for DeviceNet software.

So simply replacing the module won't get the system working; you need to reconfigure the module.

If it were my system, I'd try to re-install the original 1747-SDN and find a copy of the RSNetworx configuration file to try to figure out which device should be at which network address.

One of the downsides of DeviceNet's robustness is that years elapse between maintenance opportunities in many places, so folks forget how it works.

Ken, bkottaras,

Thanks...

Yes, I did download, and did assign the nodes to the devices...

I think I'll try putting the old card back in I guess...

I don't fully understand how the SLC talks to the SDN...

Thanks,

John

The 1747-SDN has to be configured separately from the SLC-500 program that you write in RSLogix 500.

The configuration and Scanlist are loaded into nonvolatile memory on that Scanner module by RSNetworx for DeviceNet software.

So simply replacing the module won't get the system working; you need to reconfigure the module.

If it were my system, I'd try to re-install the original 1747-SDN and find a copy of the RSNetworx configuration file to try to figure out which device should be at which network address.

One of the downsides of DeviceNet's robustness is that years elapse between maintenance opportunities in many places, so folks forget how it works.
Ken,

- I put the other module back in...
- This did nothing...
- I took what I think is our backup file and copied all the mapping and node configuration...
- I made my scanner config summary match an offline backup from 2007... (I cannot be 100% for sure if the backup was right, but it's all I have...)

I'm at a loss...

Thanks for all your help thus far...

John