Powering 240VAC device from PLC

Newbie2016

If I am starting a 240VAC device from a digital output, will i need a 240VAC DO card and a 240VAC relay?

Or is there another way to achieve it?

You can use any output card you want. You just need a relay with the coil voltage to match the output of your PLC. Then the 240 volts goes through the relay contacts.

There are PLC's that have relay outputs that can switch that voltage, but it will depend on the power the device needs.

For instance a S7-1200 plc can switch 250v, but only for a max of 200watts.

There are PLC's that have relay outputs that can switch that voltage, but it will depend on the power the device needs.

For instance a S7-1200 plc can switch 250v, but only for a max of 200watts.

True. A Click CO-04TRS will switch 250v at a maximum of 7A. I just always feel better putting anything more than a solenoid or relay coil through an interposing relay.

True. A Click CO-04TRS will switch 250v at a maximum of 7A. I just always feel better putting anything more than a solenoid or relay coil through an interposing relay.

Yeah I'm definitely with you on that. I generally don't use relay out's unless I absolutely have to.