Bar Coding question

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Do most Bar Code readers turn ASCII to text?

I have an Intouch project coming up with Bar Coding for recipe loading and parts.
The customer says they use ASCII for bar codes.

I assume if it is only letters and/or numbers, I will be able to read the bar code into Intouch.
I have done this before, but the bar code was only numbers and spaces. I did not ask if it started out as ASCII.

In general, ASCII = text.

Most barcode readers convert the spaces-and-stripes codes into a string of ASCII characters, most of which are human-readable letters and numbers. Usually the non-readable characters are Carriage Return and Line Feed.

Most barcode integration with HMI involves the barcode reader behaving like a keyboard. Your operator focuses on a text entry field, then scans the barcode, and the data appears as though it had been typed in and the operator had hit Return.

In general, ASCII = text.

Most barcode readers convert the spaces-and-stripes codes into a string of ASCII characters, most of which are human-readable letters and numbers. Usually the non-readable characters are Carriage Return and Line Feed.

Most barcode integration with HMI involves the barcode reader behaving like a keyboard. Your operator focuses on a text entry field, then scans the barcode, and the data appears as though it had been typed in and the operator had hit Return.

Yes....that is how my previous job is set up.
I was a little confused...because every time I said "text" they corrected with "ASCII"..... I was starting to doubt myself.
IT people....yes it is ASCII I am wanding but the wand converts it to text.

Some retarded systems send each byte as a hex string with spaces between them. I guess it stops there from being control characters in the string at the cost of being a PITA.

Yes....that is how my previous job is set up.
I was a little confused...because every time I said "text" they corrected with "ASCII"..... I was starting to doubt myself.
IT people....yes it is ASCII I am wanding but the wand converts it to text.

UTF-8 is the cool new text standard on the IT side, because t supports every character in every language. ASCII pretty much only has space for our alphabet, plus some weird symbols.

Maybe that's why they're so specific about the ASCII?