Magnetic bar coding and sonics

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
HELLO ALL

JUST THROWING THIS OUT AS PART OF MY "SEARCH EVERY WHERE AND LOOK UNDER EVERY ROCK FOR AN ANSWER" ROUTINE.

SITUATION: PROCESSING BASKETS OF COMPONENTS THRU CLEANING TANKS, ONE OF WHICH USES ULTRA SONICS. DATA LOGGING USING MAGNETIC BAR CODES ON THE BASKETS TO TRACK. (UNDER THE IMPRESSION ULTRA SONICS WILL EAT RADIO TAGS)

HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH MAGNETIC BAR CODING WHILE PROCESSING ULTRA SONIC BATHS.

DOES THE ULTRA SONICS INTERFERE WITH THE MAGNETIC STRIPS AS TO FRAG OR DISTORT MAGNETIC CODING.

NOT SURE i POSED THIS QUESTION COMPLETELY CORRECT BUT ANY HELP OR A POINT IN A DIRECTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION.

You might want to dig into the RFID a bit more. There are tags available that can survive almost anything. I suspect that they would last a lot longer than magnetics.

If it turns out the testing hasn't been done, ask/pay a supplier to do the testing for you and then add it to the spec.

Or, pay an independent testing company to design and certify a test for it. Maybe something like 0 magnetic degradation after 3 months of high ultrasonic exposure.

It a good idea.

Contacted three mag strip suppliers and was told its such a small niche in the market that it hasn't been/wouldn't be considered. Not sure i could swing an r&d cost

we've done data logging under these conditions but the input was manual.

We'll press on and find a solution.