C-More EA9-T6CL-R - How to set comm parameters

wildcatherder

I am getting a "PLC Communications timeout error" when running a program on a Micrologix 1100 connected to a C-More EA9 via the serial port. I can see the TX light flashing on the back of the touch panel.

I suspect a problem with comm settings. I have been using the same Micrologix serial port connected to a PC for PLC programming, so I think the Micrologix serial port is OK.

I do not see any way to change comm port settings on the C-more touch panel. On earlier versions there was a Port tab on the Information page of the setup menu. Is it possible I have the wrong firmware. I updated the firmware when I installed C-more software 6.21 with firmware 6.21.

How do I change the comm parameters for the C-more serial port.

Setup > Panel Manager > Click on "DEV001" (assuming you've left it as the default)

That gives you all of your RS232/R485 options. If you're using RS485, you need to change "Select RS485" to "Yes". I'm not sure why they've worded it that way, but that setting is for 2 wire or 4 wire. "Yes" = 2 wire, "No" = 4 wire. Since the 1100 only supports 2 wire, you need to change the default setting. I beat my head against the desk for a while on that one.

If you're using the Automation Direct AB 1100 > EA9 cable, it uses the RS232 pins, at that point I'm not sure what the issues are, other than maybe some baud or parity issues.

No "panel manager"

The setup screen shows
Information
Settings
Test Menu
Memory

No panel manager. I've looked through all those menus and there is nothing helpful.

The setup screen shows
Information
Settings
Test Menu
Memory

No panel manager. I've looked through all those menus and there is nothing helpful.

That is the setup screen of the Cmore Panel itself.

You need to set the device parameters in the configuration software. That must be done from Cmore programming software and then send as part of the project to the panel.

It cannot be set from the panel itself.

Last edited:
That is the setup screen of the cmore screen itself.

You need to set the device parameters in the configuration software. That must be done from Cmore programming software and then send as part of the project to the screen.

It cannot be set from the screen itself.

Oh. I never even thought that he was trying to set it from the physical HMI.

I'm used to seeing those setup boxes on the Cmore screens. Micrologix + Cmore EA7(now EA9) are my go-to solution for all my small pieces of equipment.

I'm used to seeing those setup boxes on the Cmore screens. Micrologix + Cmore EA7(now EA9) are my go-to solution for all my small pieces of equipment.

I don't think I've ever seen it. Hell, I'm not sure that I even know how to get into it.

I write the program, give it power, calibrate the screen, dump the program, end game. These things are fantastic for the money. I've been going through a ton of Micro's and EA9's. I've never used the EA7.

Press and hold the upper left corner of the screen for a few seconds. Setup menu appears.

From there you can change clock settings, backup/restore projects to external memory, view panel project information. And on the EA9s you can manually set panel IP Addresses. Nice because with the EA9s now I never have to connect to them with USB.

Best part about that menu is you can view the Errors under the Information. It will tell you specifically which tags or addresses cannot be found in the controller. Has helped me find many typos in my addressing over the years.

Last edited:
Press and hold the upper left corner of the screen for a few seconds. Setup menu appears.

From there you can change clock settings, backup/restore projects to external memory, view panel project information. And on the EA9s you can manually set panel IP Addresses. Nice because with the EA9s now I never have to connect to them with USB.

Interesting, I didn't know you could send a program update via ethernet. I've only been using the 5.7" -R models. With our games (we do escape rooms), I try to make the system as completely standalone as possible. I only need ethernet at the PLC and even then, I only need it for remote diagnostics / customer requested program changes. RS485 has been infallible for me.

Best part about that menu is you can view the Errors under the Information. It will tell you specifically which tags or addresses cannot be found in the controller. Has helped me find many typos in my addressing over the years.

I wish I would have known about that two nights ago! I used an existing program as a template from a previous game that we designed. Some of the components are kept from game to game, program to program (heartbeat indicator, error indicators, etc). I spent 45 minutes tracking down a tag that was giving me a 0x0002 addressing error.

I will absolutely use that bit of info in the future. Thanks for the heads up on that!

New menu for communications

The latest version of the software is a bit different but the attached image shows how I was able to change the comm settings from the C-more software.

It did used to be settable from the touch panel, before there was a second, USB channel which allows it to be done from the software.

Thanks for all the help.