PannelView 600 DH485 Connection

escoplcguy

Hey guys,

Have a project I am working on where I am upgrading a SLC-503 to a SLC-505. Currently the SLC-503 is conned to an old PV600(2711-K6C2) using a DH458 connection. Upgrading to a 505 is going to take away the DH485 port on the front of the controller, obviously so I am looking for options.

What I have found is a DH485/RS-232C Interface Module (1747-KE). Looking through the manual, it doesn't mention a panelView hookup, but it doesn't say you can't hook it up.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with this?

Second option is to go to a new PV+, is there a direct swap that has Ethernet... obviously this will take much longer as I will have to convert the program installed on the PV600 to the newer model...

Thoughts are appreciated.

Well it looks like after some reading I found my answer... looks like i will need a 1761-NET-AIC and hoot the pannelview to CH0 (RS232) port on the 505... if i am not correct with this please let me know, otherwise, thank you!

Here's a question, Will i need to do any re-configuring on the PV itself after connecting to the NET-AIC or will it communicate properly without adjusting anything on the screen itself.

why not just setup the Ch 0 comms on your 5/05 from DF1 to DH485 and everything should work as you intended?

edit: after thinking about this some more, I do believe you are right in that you need the NET-AIC for it to work...

Last edited:
why not just setup the Ch 0 comms on your 5/05 from DF1 to DH485 and everything should work as you intended?

edit: after thinking about this some more, I do believe you are right in that you need the NET-AIC for it to work...

Why could you not CH0 to DH485? if its just one node then I think it should work, you would just need to make a cable... that said I have never done it before

The SLC-5/05's Channel 0 serial port is physically RS-232, but can be configured for DF1, DH485, Modbus, or ASCII protocols.

The 2711-K6C2 has only a DH485 network port (the RS485 style, with the RJ45 jack and the AMP jack).

The proper way to connect them together is to configure the SLC-5/05's Channel 0 serial port for DH485 protocol. It should be configured to use the same DH485 node address as the original SLC-5/03's Channel 1 port.

The physical connection will use a 1761-NET-AIC module. The correct cables are shown in the Net-AIC installation instructions.

And yes, if you get the SLC-5/05 serial port set for the same DH485 address as the SLC-5/03's DH485 network port, the PanelView will need no modifications.

Last edited:
you would just need to make a cable

I wanted to specifically mention that these devices support the same DH485 protocol, but are electrically different, so you cannot connect them directly together with copper wire. The 1761-NET-AIC provides the necessary conversion and isolation between RS-232 and RS-485 signalling.

thank you for all the comments and suggestions, and Ken i am glad you did mention that you can not directly connect the PLC to the PV as I would have built a cable to try and attempt this and would have failed.

Again thanks guys!!