Micrologix PTO

roadrunner

I'm interested in using a Micrologix 1500 to drive a stepper with the PTO output. I would like to wire point to point without adding any discreet components to interface the 24 VDC with TTL level inputs. In a simple bench test I used a variable DC supply on the FET outputs. I found that the 1500 would hold a pulse train down to about one volt. At five volts, the square wave signature looks real good.
My local distributor said this wasn't a good idea and he felt sure AB would back him up. I am now running this setup with a 6ma load on the bench to see if everything will hold up. With 20 hours on the test, it looks like a winner. I need the speed of a Micro as this will be running mark registration on a high speed wrapping machine. I figure scan time to be less than 500 microseconds.
My question is, has anyone done this before? If so, what problems have you encountered? If this works, it will be super simple, super cheap, and super fast.

Thanks in advance.