Tools for tightening sensor cables - opinions?

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
We've recently started using more of the ruggedized type of I/O modules that can mount outside of a panel and accept 4/8/16 sensor connections of the threaded M8 or M12 style. I quickly discovered that screwing in a cable can be difficult for someone with big fingers if the adjacent spots are already used.

I see that there are tools available for this. Some engage the hex on the connector, which of course requires that you be careful what brand of cables you buy, and others seem to grab on the outer body of the connector and work kind of like a pipe wrench. Ratcheting and torque limiting styles are also available. What seems to be common among all of them is the high price.

Does anyone have experience with these types of tools and can you vouch for their effectiveness? Are they worth the high price?

M8_M12_wrench.jpg
2362225-40.jpg

Last edited:
They do make life easier, and if you're plugging them into module that is IP67 rated or the like you are guaranteed that they are tightened to the proper torque that the rating relies on if using the torque limiting style.

We have one in the shop that everyone shares and IMHO the investment was worth it.