String Display from control list selector FTviewME

_Dock_

I have an issue Im trying to overcome and I think im just over thinking it. Maybe you all could help.

Operation description....

1) Operator selects a material type from a control list selector on a FTview HMI. There are 30 possible selections for material for 20 different locations (think 20 control list selectors). The possible selections are STRING data.

I would like to display the STRING selection in a different area of the HMI. The issue is the control list selector outputs a numeric value that tells you the state, not the actual STRING.

Short of doing 400 COPY instructions there has to be an easier way to shift the STRING data for each selection to a string display right?

Thanks in advance!

Use the Local Message Display. Type the 30 string selections there. Then use the trigger value from the Control List Selector to display Message.

Not sure exactly how this would work? The strings are not constant and are created by the operator. Ive never used that object so I dont know all of its capabilities.

It would work if I could display the string based on the trigger value, for example...

IF trigger value =2 THEN display MaterialStringTag.2

Then use a Multistate Indicator. In the Label for each State use the Insert Variable Button then select your tag. The Label would then show what the operator entered. You can do the same with Local Message Display or a Text Box. All are capable of using the insert variable option. The Multistate has a button in the bottom right corner. The other two I think you have to right click and select edit. You can also use it in Alarm Messages by right click. I not sure about the text box it may also have a button. Do not have access to my FTVME right now.

If you want you could set up an array in the PLC and use Indirect addressing.

Then use a Multistate Indicator. In the Label for each State use the Insert Variable Button then select your tag. The Label would then show what the operator entered. You can do the same with Local Message Display or a Text Box. All are capable of using the insert variable option. The Multistate has a button in the bottom right corner. The other two I think you have to right click and select edit. You can also use it in Alarm Messages by right click. I not sure about the text box it may also have a button. Do not have access to my FTVME right now.

If you want you could set up an array in the PLC and use Indirect addressing.

The multi state indicator works, not sure why I didn't think of that. The other great thing is I only have to do the visual design on one and I can copy it then change the value tag which saves me a lot of development time.

I knew there had to be an easier way, I greatly appreciate this forum and its contributors, it has helped me out of problems many times. Im kind of the lone ranger here at work so I dont always have any other resources to pull from.