Wonderware Licence Warning 280

Hal9000

Hi there,

A customer of mine has asked for some help in regard to a licence warning that has appeared on his existing InTouch 9 SCADA system.

It's saying the system will no longer function after a pre-determined date. The odd thing is he is running the system, and has been foir years on perpetual runtime licences.

The only thing I can think of is a temporary development licence may have expired and that's kicked off the warning.

Would an expired licence cause the error? What would do I need to do to remove any expired licence. I'm not an InTouch guru but want to help my client.

Is there anything else that could cause error 280 ? (see attached)

Best regards,

InTouch Licence.jpg

This appears to be a consignment development license. Can he open WindowMaker?
If the license was purchased as part of a support contract, it expires every year.
If it is a temporary license it only works for about 1 month.

He can look at the license information with Wonderware License Utility.
Start>All Programs>Wonderware>Common>License Utility
When the License Utility opens...The box on the left gives you the location of the license. If there is only 1 license loaded, the "Count" will be "1" in the upper box to the right. Highlight the (1) that is next to the license and you will see the license information (in the lower box to the right) below the license.
also the "Component Name" will describe the license.

Last edited:
I have started seeing this same message start popping up a few days ago on a Wonderware system that I have been working with. The system has been running for a few years. The message is the exact same, but I get a number 308.

I checked the license utility and it all looks ok.

Developers will often add a development license in a subfolder of the license folder on a runtime node for convenience, and it might be that someone intended to temporarily use a consignment development license to make a change in the application and then forgot to replace it with the runtime license after making the change. You should never see that nag box unless you are running on a consignment license.

Search your pc for any *.lic files.
It should be named WWsuite.lic or ArchestrA.lic
BUT...not always, unless it is in the license directory.

Sometimes people also rename it to the job they are working on, to designate if it is a Runtime or Development license, who it belongs to.

My development licenses are named NS-Dev-archetra.lic and NS-Dev-wwsuite.lic.
The runtime licenses I send or store are named by the job number or equipment number - archestra.lic (version 10.5 and later) or wwsuite.lic (version 10.1 and earlier).
You cannot use an archestra license previous to version 10.5....found this out the hard way.

When you use the License Utility to load it, the license manager automatically renames it to wwsuite.lic or archestra.lic when it installs it in the license directory....C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArchestrA\License

Note:
Wonderware always includes both licenses files on the license disk. While you may need archestra.lic for 10.5 and later, some older IO servers or DAServers may still require the wwsuite.lic license. In that case, you have to load both licenses.

Last edited: