AutoCAD Electrical 2k5 Question

CT782

I'm attempting to learn AcadE 2005. I'm new to Autocad period, so I don't have a background to draw from. I'm going pretty good so far I think (biased opinion), but some of the simpler things are confusing me. Perhaps someone can help me cure my ignorance?

If I insert a set of 3 phase wires using the "insert 3 phase wires" option from the pulldown menus, setting my "distance between wires to something like 1.25", then insert a component, such as a 3-pole disconnect. The component is drawn in about 3 times the size of my screen! So I select it and scale it to about 30% or something. Well Once I get the component scaled, the points ont he component never are spaced correctly to line up with my 3 phase wires. SO all that said, my question is, is there a way to create my drawing to that all the components are proportional to my drawing so I don't have to shrink everything I insert? And is there a way to scale a 3 pole component so that it's terminals line up with my pre-drawn 3 phase wires?

Thanks guys!
Chris

I don't have Autocad Electrical....

But I would look at every place where you can set dimension units, and make sure they are all either English or Metric.

I've already done that, I found a reference to that in an old post on here. I THINK that PART of my problem is that I'm trying to draw these simple practice prints I'm making up on a single screen without panning around. I'm sure there are project settings I need to set relating to that. If I insert one of the standard borders with project info, etc included, it's the size of the screen, the component I insert is bigger than THAT! I will scale them all down and re-save them if that's what I have to do, but surely someone at AutoDesk thought of this and there is an option. My main headache is getting those darn terminals to line up with my 3 phase wires so all my lines are pretty and straight.

Thanks
Chris

Chris,

My first guess would be that you are using the jic 1.25 symbols not the jic 1 symbols.
Open up your project, select "Symbol Library" on the left side and the check and see what the library path is. I would set it to

c:/program files/autodesk/acade 2005/Libs/jic1.

The next thing you want to do is make sure you are working in Model space NOT Paper space[Layout1]. Trust me, you will thank me later if you need to change your border size at a later date.

I cannot emphasize this enough: Borders go in Paper Space; Drawings go in Model Space.

You also may want to check the Drawing Configuration.(It is under the Projects pulldown about 2/3 the way down)

Check that the scale is set to 1:00(upper left corner of the dialog box).

Those are the first things I can think of. You also may want to register on ACADE's forum.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forum.jspa?forumID=38

I am registered there and check it frequently.

I have been using ACADE since 1998 and would not work without it. It has made my job much easier.

If you have any more questions, I would be happy to help.

Bob

Bob has good advice. Ilearned the hard way.

My Autocad training was "here's the power button", and "control C will get you out of trouble".

I did run into this several years ago on a really old autocad version, and the was an impost scale setting that needed to be changes. It may not exist in E-2005, though.

regards.....casey

Thanks guys! I have ALOT to learn. Bob, I have been reading the posts on the AutoDesk forum diligently, that will be a valuable resource. I remember AcadE asking me if I wanted to install in IEC or JIC. Can you change that if you wanted to do a drawing in metric then the next one in std? I think I need to find an Acad 2005 book so I can learn the basic functions of the software. Any recommendations?

Thanks again for the help, I think I'm on the right track, if I could just get this stuff to line up.

Chris

Unfortunately, there is no book. AutoDesk is aware of how displeased many of the power users are and plans on having something in the next release. For now, you will have to rely on the Help screens to get any info you need and the forum. There is a tutorial under help and I HIGHLY recommend doing it. This will give you the basics and then ask on the ACAD forum if you have more questions.

You are right. Learning AutoCAD by itself can be daunting. Adding ACADE to this can make it even more difficult. Originally ACADE was built as an add-on (3rd party) to ACAD, and it is assumed you already have a working knowledge of ACAD. To be honest, you probably will not be fully up to speed for about 3-4 months.

ACADE is a very powerful piece of software because it is extremely customizable. This can be overwhelming for someone new to the program. Take it in small sections, and advance when you feel comfortable to go on to other things. Soon enough, you will be making custom symbols and menu libraries for all of your stock items.

Bob

P.S. why don't you .zip up what you have so far and I will take a look at it. I maybe able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Ron, here is a drawing a whipped up with 3-phase wires, I inserted a component from the library and it's HUGE! You'll see what I'm talking about. I can scale it down but can't get it to line up with the 3 wires. Also if I have alot of stuff on the drawing and insert one of those giant Mr. Stay-Puffed components it'll be all over my other stuff. I can foresee having alot of fun with AcadE when I finally figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Thanks again!

Chris

Chris,

It was as I thought. You have your units set to metric and are using the jic1 symbols which are standard so you scaling is all over the place. Go to the Drawing Configuration Dialog box and Click on the Setup Button loacted next the the text Scale in the upper right corner of the box. Under unit scale factor, click the inch radio button. Click okay. Click okay again.

You may want to start over with a fresh drawing but make sure that you use one of the JIC templates, not IEC.

That should fix it for you.

By the way it is Bob not Ron.

Bob

Sorry, Bob. My colleague, Ron was sitting here with me when I typed that and I guess my fingers did the present company thing. My apologies. I double checked, or at least thought I did. That the drawing was IEC and the symbol set was IEC2. I will try it again later tonight or first thing in the morning using your instructions.
Thanks ALOT for your help and patience. I'll let you know how it goes.

Chris