Buying an 1771-SDN from EBay

Hi,

Whats yours thoughts or experiences on buying used PLCs parts from Ebay? Had any success?

I need a 1771-SDN Devicenet scanner to add about 20 Rotork Valves to a PLC5 system and the price Rockwell are quoting is absolutely crazy.

Its already an ancient piece of hardware, don't want to risk buying a total piece of junk:)

The price that Rockwell is charging for the module is an indication that they would rather you use something more current. Thus you turn to ebay to locate something affordable.
Those two pieces of information should be ammunition to help you convince your boss that its time to retire the PLC5 and upgrade to something current.

The price that Rockwell is charging for the module is an indication that they would rather you use something more current. Thus you turn to ebay to locate something affordable.
Those two pieces of information should be ammunition to help you convince your boss that its time to retire the PLC5 and upgrade to something current.

He's not my boss and if you seen the level of work to change out this system just to add a few valves....

I'm staying well clear of it. He can have his SDN ;)

Go for it...I have used a few "previous owner" parts..

But devicenet can be an awkward one to deal with...
I know, I am just trying to replace an SEW VSD at the moment on a PLC5 system, issues getting the existing config never mind changing it...

I have very few issue with ebay... but I also sell a lot on there http://stores.ebay.com/plctrainerandcables/

Look to see if the seller has a "Top Rated" if yes then most of the time you are good to buy from them as they try to make their customers happy

I will look to see if I have any but I dont buy or sell much PLC5 stuff anymore

I've had good experiences buying AB and Prosoft modules etc. off eBay, just check seller rating and as mentioned before, you can start a dispute/case if it doesn't work. eBay does a decent job of protecting customers.

There's nothing wrong with buying S/H parts from eBay, GumTree, or any other place, including the re-sellers like PLCCenter and the like.

At the end of the day, the part didn't stop working the day it was bought by whoever you are considering buying it from.

Commercial re-sellers will give you a money-back guarantee, and if a product is misrepresented on eBay you'll have the eBay money-back guarantee to fall back on.

I constructed my training rigs from stuff bought on eBay many years ago, still going strong.....

That 1771 platform is pretty tough stuff. The odds of getting a bad module are very low. I remember years ago during a large rain storm, getting called out to a customer who's PLC5 stopped working. Opened the panel and water was running through the PLC and rack. They stopped the leak, we used an air hose and a warming oven and dried it all out, put it back in. Not only did it start up but it even had the original program and ran perfect.

That 1771 platform is pretty tough stuff. The odds of getting a bad module are very low. I remember years ago during a large rain storm, getting called out to a customer who's PLC5 stopped working. Opened the panel and water was running through the PLC and rack. They stopped the leak, we used an air hose and a warming oven and dried it all out, put it back in. Not only did it start up but it even had the original program and ran perfect.

Been there done that. Five PLC5 panels were FILLED with rain water. All of them survived. Two of them had to be downloaded. We lost one DC input point and 6 obsolete servo amps however. So in an hour we had all the PLCs running and 6 hours later we had played enough "musical chairs" with the drives to get all but one machine back into production.

I have had good luck with Ebay PLC5 units/parts, having said that; it's a risk assessment thing, am I going to rely on Ebay parts that were "pulled from a working environment" on a production line where downtime costs $6000 an hour? NO! I have pretty much every line covered with spares, but they were very expensive units, purchased new and are available for replacement. They all came from commercial re-sellers or Rockwell,and have guarantees.

Same goes for other things, I bought a big box of Cisco GBICs for my network lab, they have all worked, but I don't use them for production where a failure may cost big $$, the production equipment was all new.

Last edited:
Have had good luck with eBay. Just got a DirectLogic DL06 including H0-ECOM100 ethernet card for $115, free shipping. It works perfectly, just had a few inconsequential cosmetic dings. Retail cost over $500.

From my experience, buyers have the upper hand on eBay/Paypal in cases of bad/incorrectly advertised items.

Good luck!