Nitrogen/Oxygen for pressure tx calibration

Theboss

Hi Guys,

Could someone guide me as to which is better or reliable to use when conducting a pressure cals?

Thank you in advance.

Hi, I'm sorry. I meant to say compressed air or nitrogen.

I noticed that some guys prefer using nitrogen when conducting pressure verification/calibration on pressure transmitters. Why is this?

Last edited:
Unless you have a very good dryer for your compressed air you are likely to have moisture and/or oil from the air compressor.

Nitrogen is usually portable in bottles. You don't always have compressed air near by.

Compressed air is limited in it's pressure range.

Up to 15 BAR it is common to use compressed air, above it is easier to use a nitrogen bottle.
To pressure test containers/vessels it is better to use oil or water

Nitrogen is clean, dry, and cheap. If you will be using a lot, consider a liquid nitrogen dewar. A high pressure LN2 dewar(220 psi) will last 90 days without use, and cost about $100.00 to refill. It has a gas port, and a "pressure building" to raise pressure up to 200 psi or so.

That depends. A good rule of thumb is to measure the distance between the solenoid and the actuator/cylinder and make your air hose at least that length.

(sorry. I can't help myself this afternoon)

Or do you mean, how close to your actuator should you position your solenoid? That's a massively open ended question with no real answer, and entirely depends on each individual application.

Yeah because every where else that I have worked, the solenoids have always been surface mount or right next to the actuator/cylinder.

Older machines had signals running to individual solenoids. That meant a distribution of control wires, connectors at each solenoid, and air supply lines.
Today's machines have solenoid manifolds, where the only lines distributed throughout the machine is air lines.

Thats correct. But I don't agree with such distribution because those air lines can become an issue in the future,as well as a slower reaction time from the valve.

Absolutely. But again, there's no hard and fast rule.

Maybe you've got a pneumatic setup which is designed to just cycle back and forth and mechanically manipulate material to assist with process flow. What does half a second of lag (or, for that matter 3-4 seconds of lag) matter in this case?

But then, maybe you've got a machine that dispenses pallets, with air rams on each side to grip/lift/dispense pallets. Obviously, timing is critical if you need both sides of the pallet gripped at the same time. Here, lag is a big issue.

There are definite advantages to distributing air lines rather than electrical cables (cost, time, hazardous area applications, ease of termination, etc etc), so you can't say that it's universally a bad idea. You have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Assess each option on it's merits, taking into account the pros and cons of doing things every which way, and try to pick the option that presents the biggest benefit with the fewest (or least severe) drawbacks.

Absolutely. But again, there's no hard and fast rule.

Maybe you've got a pneumatic setup which is designed to just cycle back and forth and mechanically manipulate material to assist with process flow. What does half a second of lag (or, for that matter 3-4 seconds of lag) matter in this case?

But then, maybe you've got a machine that dispenses pallets, with air rams on each side to grip/lift/dispense pallets. Obviously, timing is critical if you need both sides of the pallet gripped at the same time. Here, lag is a big issue.

There are definite advantages to distributing air lines rather than electrical cables (cost, time, hazardous area applications, ease of termination, etc etc), so you can't say that it's universally a bad idea. You have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Assess each option on it's merits, taking into account the pros and cons of doing things every which way, and try to pick the option that presents the biggest benefit with the fewest (or least severe) drawbacks.

If this forum had an "I Agree" button, I'd have clicked it for that post.