Siemens CPU 928

talunik

Hi, my name is Luciano from Brazil. I´d like to know if is it possible to make a back up of the program in a EPROM or RAM card to use with a CPU 928 from Siemens. Because some time when I need to replace the CPU or it´s miss the program, I need to reload the program using a PG or a notebook. If it´s possible, how can I do it. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
It is certainly possible.

You will need a copy of STEP5 (very expensive) and a serial to TTY converter (not so expensive) in order to get online.

Alternatively, rent or borrow a PG with the cable.
"PG" is Siemens lingo for "Programmier-Gerät" i.e. Programming device.

A bad thing is that you wont have any symbols or comments in the program that you upload from the PLC.
I would investigate getting a copy of the original program from the person or company that made it.

CPU 928

Hello, how fast was your answer!! I already have the software S5, a converter TTY and the back up of the program that is running right now in the machine. My doubt is, which card can I use, EPROM or RAM. After I´ve "record" the back up into the card, which slot in CPU 928 I have to put it, and when I need to reload the program, without PG or notebook, how may I procedure...

Doesnt the 928U have a RAM or EPROM module allready ?
If not it must be running on the onboard RAM and with battery backup only.
- Do check the backup battery. And do not shut down the CPU to exchange the battery 🙃
If you want to store the program on an EPROM you will need an external PROMMER.

If there is a RAM module, then it is because the program is too large to fit in the onboard RAM or because the original programmer wanted to be able to do online programming.
If you lose the program in the 928U it is simply a matter of downloading it again to the PLC.

If there is an EPROM module, then you are safe already.
If you needed to make changes to the program and store the new program on the EPROM, again you would have to use an additional PROMMER.

edit: And there is a slot in the CPU for the RAM/EPROM module it is approx 1 cm wide and 5 cm high. Maybe it is covered over.

Last edited:
Hello,

Two small things,
when you make a back-up of the plc_program make sure you make not only a back-up of the OB's,PB's and FB's but also back-up the DB's aswell. It's been a while but a believe you need to use the letter 'B' if U want to back-up everything.

The second point, if the LED battery low is on do NOT should down the power supply. This LED condition indicates that the ba

Hello,

Pushed the wrong button, sorry

Two small things,
when you make a back-up of the plc_program make sure you make not only a back-up of the OB's,PB's and FB's but also back-up the DB's aswell. It's been a while but a believe you need to use the letter 'B' if U want to back-up everything.

The second point, if the LED battery low is on do NOT shut down the power supply. This LED condition indicates that the battery is flat and not low like it indicates and everything will be lost.

Rudi

O.K!!!
I´m using a external RAM card and I would like to know if I change that for a EPROM card with the program, I wont use the PG or notebook anymore, that´s correct:confused:
On that CPU 928 have two external switch´s, "start\stop" and "reset\overral reset", I´ll need to use this switch´s to reload the program :confused:

Hello,

I´m using a external RAM card and I would like to know if I change that for a EPROM card with the program, I wont use the PG or notebook anymore, that´s correct

First of all you need to check if the RAM was used because the memory was to small (like Jesper was saying). If your internal memory is big enough you should be able to remove the RAM and replace it with an EEPROM. Then you just make a copy of your program and shoot into the EEPROM. If the RAM was placed into the PLC for memory purposses then I think it's not possible (Jesper correct me if I'm wrong). So when U could replace the RAM with an EEPROM you don't need your laptop or PG anymore.

On that CPU 928 have two external switch´s, "start\stop" and "reset\overral reset", I´ll need to use this switch´s to reload the program

You dont need any of those switches to reload the program. You even can do it online (RUN-mode). The RUN/STOP switch puts your PLC in Run or STOP mode. When something wrong (logicaly) with your program it's possible that your PLC goes to stop mode. Modify the program and switch it from run to stop and back to run again.

The other switch is a warm or cold Restart.

Rudi

WF 470

I have another doubt, I´m using a WF 470 card, I would like to know if is it possible to upload the program of the that WF 470 and if may I run a version of the "WF EDIT PROGRAM", using a notebook :confused:

WF 470 CARD

No problem!!!

This card is very old and is using to show the information of machine on a video monitor... I hope somebody can help us...

cpu 928

If my internal memory isn´t enough and a need to use a external RAM card like I´m using, is it possible to change it to a big one to eliminate the RAM card and replace for a EEPROM card :confused:

Whew - its been so many years that I am beginning to be vague when it comes to S5.

talunik,
you could try to remove the RAM card and see how it goes.

1. Go online with STEP5 and compress the memory.
2. Check that you have a valid backup of the complete program (if STEP5 is set to english language then it is "A" for All blocks).
3. Check that the backup battery is OK.
4. Power down.
5. Remove RAM module.
6. Power up.
7. If CPU goes into RUN, then the RAM module is not necessarry.
If it goes into STOP, then the RAM module is necessarry and you have to reload the program (after reinserting the RAM module).

good luck

About the last question:

I think that a 928B has more memory and is faster than a 928. Maybe you can fit the program in a 928B.
But it will be very expensive.
The entire S5 range is obsolete !
Are you sure that you want to throw a lot of money at something that ought to be replaced by something more modern ?

cpu 928

Hi Jesper,

The CPU I´m using is CPU 928B. I´ll try to do what you suggest and see what will happen...Actually I work as techinical assistence and sometimes our clients who still have some old machines and use S5, they have that problem I told you before (miss the program), and in some cases they are locate far from where I´m working and I´d like to avoid to travel just to reload a CPU em 5 minutes....Thanks for your and everybody support and sorry about my english...
Do you know somenthing about WF470 card :confused: