Screen print from dos to win XP

elevmike

Ok so I dont seem to be able to do a screen print from any dos program an paste it into to Paint. I checked the properties for the dos exe files and the Screen Print function is active. However when Im in the Dos program I hit the screen print key, then tab out (windows key) to the desktop and open Paint, when I go to paste the clip board appears to be empty. I've gone through all the MS help files and website but no good results...

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

Mike.

If you can run the application in a window, then right click on the title bar, select Edit and Select all, the Edit and Copy.

Ok so from what I understand (new to XP) this is supposed to work just like it did whith win 98se. So it looks like the confuser gods have singled me out.... :(

Also I cant seem to be able to run ANY of the DOS programs in a window, no matter how I set up the properties they always go to full screen. Hmmmm.

Still looking for a magic answer..

Hmmm. I ended up running the dos program on another confuser on the network, and doing a screen print on that confuser, (running Win98 SE). Then sending the jpg. created by Paint back to my XP confuser. Poor workaround... I cant figure out why not on my XP machine???

Mike.

wow... that's really odd that you can't run dos apps in a window.

try

start > run programs

then enter "cmd" in the dialog box.

does it bring up a window with a dos prompt or does it give you a dos prompt full screen?

Try this.

Go to The start menu
Select Accessories
Then, with the right mouse button, click on Command Prompt

On the Options Tab, make sure Window is selected instead of full screen.

That should let you do the <alt>-<prt scrn> to copy what's on the screen.

monkeyhead said:
wow... that's really odd that you can't run dos apps in a window.

try: start > run programs; then enter "cmd" in the dialog box.

does it bring up a window with a dos prompt or does it give you a dos prompt full screen?

I get a window with the dos prompt. but when I type in the $#@^^&.dos file name, the program jumps to a full screen.

I have also set the file properties to run in a window, but still it goes to a full screen.

Norm,

the command prompt properties are set to window, So are the other dos programs. the command prompt wiil run in a window but not lotus, or turbo cad etc.. they go to full screen, and I cant seem to be able to do a screen print from them. However If I send the files to another computer on the LAN I can do it there. Then send the resulting jpg back to my workstation. Too much hassel, really need to figure out what the problem is.

Thans for your responses... Mike.

Last edited:
Mike

Does the pressing of the 'Alt' and 'Enter' keys to switch the dos program from full screen mode to window mode work?

I only suggest that as it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet.

Paul

Paul,

I just tried that it. What happens is that Alt-Enter closed the windown and placed it in the tray. Go back ot the tray and clik restor= back to the full screen.

I really am starting to think that theirs a corruption in my XP files, because jacking with all the property settings has no effect on the windwoing or print screen issue.

Mike,
Are you changing the settings on the "shortcut" to the program, or the actual .exe file itself? I've had that one bite me before......

Tom, Ive done both. I also went to another confuser on the network and got it to work there no problem. This only happed to me when I upgraded from 98SE to XP, and only on my workstation.

Im totally lost on this issue... :unsure:

Thanks, Mike.

elevmike said:
This only happed to me when I upgraded from 98SE to XP, and only on my workstation.

I've never heard anything but tales of woe upgrading to XP. I'd recommend backing up all your user files and doing a fresh install. It's basically because upgrading from 98se to XP you end up with a cludgey mix of the two very different operating systems instead of a true XP install.

But that's a pretty big pain in the butt to solve your one problem. Especially if you have a lot of software to re-install after you do a clean install of the OS.