Win98SE on a TP37?

dicker

Hi everyone,

I had the chance to get hold on a old but working TP37 from Siemens. I thougt it would be nice to get it running under win98 for my home automation network. So I added RAM, a HD, a cd-rom and changed the bios to start from HD. I managed to get a win98se installed without significant problems. The touch is running ok with a EloTouch driver. The graphic card was also recognized ok.
And now I got 2 problems:
1. a unknown device in the device mamager and
2. I cant get the pcmcia slot running.

about no. 1:
If I remove the unknwon device it will be reinstalled after the next start. The device is found as a plu&play device but windows does not find matching drivers. Does anybody know what this device might be?

about no. 2:
I can install the drivers for the pcmcia slot but cards (tried a few: W-LAN, LAN, MODEM) will not be recognized by the system and therefore no drivers will be asked to be installed. I only tried slot B as I understood the documentation that slot A is unusable for external cards. Does somebody have an idea?
Thanks for reading even if this is not a typical PLC problem.

About 1:
It must be the onboard MPI/DP port.
You can try to load drivers for the onboard MPI/DP port for the earliest PG720 models (if you can find them !).
Alternatively there is the PCI card CP5611, but I doubt that the TP37 has a PCI bus. What was there before CP5611 ? Was there an ISA card ?

Generally I am pessimistic about your chances of succes.
That TP37 is a completely proprietary piece of hardware. I hope you got it for free.
I am amazed at the effort you have allready put in. But it would have been easier with just a regular PC.

Hi Jesper,

good idea, tonite I have tried the drivers of an early PG720 but no success. I was not able to set correct resources for either an CP5611, CP5511 or CP5411, also the driver for a builtin MPI interface did not work. Maybe tomorrow I try to find someone at our local SIEMENS maybe they have an idea.

BTW: you're right I got the TP37 for free, would normally not spend time on an old item like this. But when I had it in my hands, I opened it and the motherboard layout looked a lot like a "normal" pc with just some added chips. I found the IDE port, attached a cable and an old HD was recognized by the bios. And so it went on and on. But now I think I have come to the end as I can not get the PCMCIA working. But there is still a little light at the end of the tunnel: there is a pci slot on the mb, with a riser-card I might be able to get a standard pci card working. Well lets see, my wife said I already spent to much time, is she right?, dont know

THX
Dirk

I was thinking of locating our old PG720 and fetch the driver for the onboard interface in order to send it to you. But you have tried that allready, so ...

What software are you going to run on the panel ?
You could use a serial/MPI converter. It would be a little bit cheaper than to use a CP5611.