Project Report

to_manishgupta

T
Guys I need your help to prepare one project report. I have to submit one project report on incorporating AC Drive or VFD to an air compressor by this monday. the project report should also mention how much power saving can be achieved. please help me fast. you can mail me the same on [email protected]

I have to submit one project report on incorporating AC Drive or VFD to an air compressor by this monday.

that's ok, one report is ample. if you're going to incorporate the drive by monday you may need to work the weekend. personally i wouldn't fit either type of drive to an air compressor unless i also had an electric motor to drive the compressor.:sick:

1) i am sorry to say that but i cant pay any money.
2) i have to submit report by monday not that i have to incorporate VFD with compressor by monday.

I have basic knowledge of motors and drives. i also visited one site where there was installation of the drive but i was unlucky as it was a DC drive. also they couldnt help me as they too dont have any report on that project.

Do you realize you haven't given us much to go on?

What is your question? Do you want to know about sizing a drive, wiring IO, or painting the equipment according to safety codes?

Why do you need an AC DRIVE to run an air compressor? On the face of it, (you've provided very sketchy info), I would think that you would install a soft starter instead of a drive. If your famillar with motors and drives etc.. than writing a report to outline the benifits, and costs etc.. should take you about 30 minutes. The report maybe should be in a classic Key Hole format; Introduction, subject matter spicific to your project; and closing/conclusions.

To be frank, your not getting positive responses, because it seems your putting little effort into it yourself. If you make an attempt to wirte a report and then post it, then maybe you'll get some positive responses to help clarify it, and correct any possable errors etc..

THANKS TO THE MEMBERS OF THE FORUM FOR GIVING LIGTNING RESPONSES. EVEN THOUGH SOME OF THEM MAY BE NOT USEFUL, STILL I AM THANKFULL.

ELEVMIKE u have asked me why i need an AC Drive to run an air compressor. Its because my coustomer wants the same. Also i have experience on PLC's and SCADA, but my customer wants me to do this project for him, so i am facing problems. Also the motor used in compressor is of very high rating. its an 187 kW squirrel cage induction motor. with frame LC-315. Also i have not submitted any reports to anyone on drive and compressors. so i dont know from where to start and what to describe, and where to end. Also i have to calculate the power savings for the same. thats why i came to this forum for getting help.

AKREEL IF I AM NOT WRONG AN 200 kW DRIVE WILL BE THE CORRECT SIZE BECAUSE THEN I HAVE TO USE EITHER 160 kW DRIVE/200 kW DRIVE. SO I THINK 200 kW DRIVE WILL BE THE BEST OPTION.

Also friends, for me first concern is to get a report which will explain the project and the way i am going to execute the same for my self understanding as well as for my customer too.

Thanks for all help.

to_manishgupta,

Let's see 187 Kw = 250 HP :eek: Way out of my league...

A few suggestions..

1) Register and join the fourm. That way you will be able to post photos & documents, and get email notification that somebody replied to your thread.

2) Search the forum for username DickDV, and topic Drives. You'll learn more quicker than anybody, (but Dick), could teach you by Monday.

3) Click on this link and study it...ALL http://www.patchn.com/mtrwhtpaper.htm

4) Do a survey of the existing equipment. Get all specifications for the existing equipment including expected start / stop cycles etc..Current power usage etc..

5) Do your best and write the report. Put something down on paper!!

6) Google AC Drive + Air Compressor, and see what you get.

Do all the above, OR buy Rube's report...

Good luck with it.

tough to justify

Air compressor does not represent wildly varying load. The load is more less steady and therefore you will not realise any savings.
You need to look at a device such as "motor boss" that uses the technology developed originally by NASA.
I think that there was a discussion on this subject in this forum, try to search for it.
Usually these type of power saving devices are applied to machines such as crushers, hopper feeders etc. that have loads that frequently vary.
In these cases you size the induction motor to be able to deal with the peak load but most of the time the motor would be running lightly loaded and that's where your power savings will be coming from.
Motor Boss is an English Company but there are several Companies in US that provide this technology I just can't remember the names anymore.
Allen Bradley does have power saving technology built into some of their soft starts.
Not every VFD or soft start will have this technology though.
Also I just remembered that AB has an application note and a calculation example on the subject. You should run these calculations to find out if your application lends itself to the power saver technology, right of the bet I would say that it does not.

to_manishgupta, this is not a PLC or even an electrical engineering question.

There are lots of types of "compressors". Some are centrifugal, some are positive displacement. Some supply very high pressure gasses for process use, and some supply very low pressure gases. Some provide compressed gas to a process where demand varies widely, some where the demand is nearly constant.

You need to define:

The variation in the load
The type of compressor control being used currently or as standard
The cost per unit volume for the current system at various operating conditions
The cost per unit volume for control using a VFD at various operating conditions
The difference between the two on a daily or weekly or monthly basis, depending on which most accurately reflects usage patterns. (For example, a natural gas pipeline compressor would be best nodelled daily, a petrochmeical plant with 6 days operation would be best modelled weekly, and so on.

Based on the information you have provided neither you or anyone else can provide an intelligent analysis.