Network help

kevinc69

I am by no accounts a network guy, so here is my question. I have a 1756-L72 processor in a 17 slot chassis that I remotely access through a 1756-ENBT/A ethernet card with a static IP of 192.168.203.221. In slot 14 of the chassis i have a 1756-EN2T/D with another L72 on it. The iP of the EN2T is 192.168.204.10 and the IP of the second L72 is 192.168.10.10. Is there any way for me to access the second L72 remotely? Or do I have to hike out there and plug straight in? The contractor that installed all of this gave me the two new IP addresses.

Depends on your subnet mask. Standard is 255.255.255.0. You'd need 255.255.0.0 to see all those addresses without a gateway.

I am by no accounts a network guy, so here is my question. I have a 1756-L72 processor in a 17 slot chassis that I remotely access through a 1756-ENBT/A ethernet card with a static IP of 192.168.203.221. In slot 14 of the chassis i have a 1756-EN2T/D with another L72 on it. The iP of the EN2T is 192.168.204.10 and the IP of the second L72 is 192.168.10.10. Is there any way for me to access the second L72 remotely? Or do I have to hike out there and plug straight in? The contractor that installed all of this gave me the two new IP addresses.

I have not tried this directly and don't have access to the equipment to test it, but have you tried browsing "through" the rack with the first 1756-L72 processor on it? I'm not sure if the EN2T will route you through the rack, but its worth a shot!

This was a little tough to follow.....

Is there one chassis with two controllers and two Ethernet modules, or are there two chassis? The L72 doesn't have an IP address. It doesn't have built-in Ethernet. You've listed three IP addresses but only mentioned one chassis.

Sorry, I couldn't get the mental image right to even try to answer the question.

OG

This was a little tough to follow.....

Is there one chassis with two controllers and two Ethernet modules, or are there two chassis? The L72 doesn't have an IP address. It doesn't have built-in Ethernet. You've listed three IP addresses but only mentioned one chassis.

Sorry, I couldn't get the mental image right to even try to answer the question.

OG

My bad, the second processor is a compact, but yes, there are two racks. I browsed through the chassis to the EN2T but can not see the compactlogix controller.

My bad, the second processor is a compact, but yes, there are two racks. I browsed through the chassis to the EN2T but can not see the compactlogix controller.

If I understand the hardware situation, you will should not be trying to browse through an EN2T to access the CompactLogix. The EN2T will only provide access to processors plugged into the backplane of its chassis, which will be 1756 ControlLogix processors. You will access the CompactLogix directly from its Ethernet connection, and as pointed out earlier the subnet mask of your workstation will need to make that subnet visible (i.e., with the third octet being less than 255).

If I understand the hardware situation, you will should not be trying to browse through an EN2T to access the CompactLogix. The EN2T will only provide access to processors plugged into the backplane of its chassis, which will be 1756 ControlLogix processors. You will access the CompactLogix directly from its Ethernet connection, and as pointed out earlier the subnet mask of your workstation will need to make that subnet visible (i.e., with the third octet being less than 255).

The ethernet connection on the compact is not on our network directly. I connects straight to the EN2T in the 1756 chassis. The contractor said that I should be able to browse the chassis to the EN2T and access the Compact through it, I just can not figure it out.

The ethernet connection on the compact is not on our network directly. I connects straight to the EN2T in the 1756 chassis. The contractor said that I should be able to browse the chassis to the EN2T and access the Compact through it, I just can not figure it out.

OK, I remember doing something like this with a Panelview+, and it required an RS-Linx configuration to manually "route" to the device. I think it is done by right-clicking the "Ethernet" network under the module (i.e., the EN2T in your case), and then selecting Properties. From there you can manually add an Ethernet/IP address, which would be the one of your CompactLogix.

Again, I did this with a Panelview, and it was an older version of RS-Linx.

.... I think it is done by right-clicking the "Ethernet" network under the module (i.e., the EN2T in your case), and then selecting Properties. From there you can manually add an Ethernet/IP address, which would be the one of your CompactLogix.

That is the way to do it. Browse to the chassis using network card A, then go through the backplane and access network card B. Expand network card B and you should see an Ethernet listed below it. Right-click on that Ethernet and select properties and you will see an option to select specific IP addresses on that modules subnet to manually add to a scan list. From there select the address for the Compact unit.

One other item you might consider too......If you right-click on that "remote" Ethernet and select Create Shortcut you can assign a name for that remote Ethernet network. Then it will show up in your driver list like a separate Ethernet driver. You won't have to browse through the chassis anymore. The shortcut will remember all those settings and take you straight to the remote network.

OG