FactoryTalk SE Network Station HELP

40mpg

Hello,

I am seeing if someone can point out what I am doing wrong. (I am doing a lot wrong but just testing out SE, youtube seems to have a lot of videos that just shows how to create the app, and not launch the app.

1. Workstation A - create an SE Network Station app, add HMI server, add FactoryTalk Linx server, add one screen

2. Create a Factorytalk SE configuration file, selected HMI app

3. Move configuration file to Workstation B, double click to launch and presented with a message "Application does not exist"

Basically, the data server, hmi server will live on workstation A, and workstation B will just be the hmi client...is that how it works?

Yes, but I would suggest going through rockwell's PDF on Site Edition. https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/viewse-um006_-en-e.pdf If you are comfortable, skip right to chapter 6, though much of it is worth reading.

I read through ch. 7 , which is for Network Station, went through the steps , started the HMI component as indicated. But I still cannot see the HMI from another workstation.

I am searching for specifically, setting up SE configuration client, but no luck.

Network Station does not allow remote clients. The HMI Server and the client must reside on the same PC. If the client(s) will be remote then you need a Network Distributed type application.

Station does allow a developer using FT View Studio to connect to and edit a Station application running on another PC. But not clients.

OG

Ahhh i see, also, I called TechConnect and they pointed out that I have to use the "FactoryTalk Directory Server Location Utility" app to configure the remote computer to point to the computer that is hosting the HMI. Then I can just launch the client and it'll work..

Hmmm now I run into another issue, I don't see the other computer using the app....I can ping it just fine, any idea why it is not showing up in "Network"?

Thanx OG.

Last edited:
Yes, you would need to do that in the Distributed application. The computers must be connected to the same FactoryTalk Network Directory. And you can perform this step on your PC successfully. But it still won't let your remote client access the HMI server on another PC.

I'm guessing Tech Support didn't catch that you were using a Station application.

OG

Hmmm now I run into another issue, I don't see the other computer using the app....I can ping it just fine, any idea why it is not showing up in "Network"?

That tool has always been a bit flaky when it comes to showing the other computers on your network. I usually retry it 4-5 times. If it still doesn't show up, then I enter the IP address manually.

OG

That tool has always been a bit flaky when it comes to showing the other computers on your network. I usually retry it 4-5 times. If it still doesn't show up, then I enter the IP address manually.

OG

I tried typing in the IP address, doesn't work, then I typed in the computer name.....then the notification comes up status: Connected! then I celebrated, but then the notification comes up again and status: disconnected

Then the error message comes up "cannot connect to the directory server...."

It then automatically reverts back to "localhost"

Network Distributed Site Edition cannot be this hard....

Just following up.

Status: successfully pointed Factorytalk directory to HMI server

1. DISABLE FIREWALL!

the firewall was on at the computer hosting the Factorytalk directory

Could you point me to the other post?
I'll be working on a similar project soon and would like to consider all possible scenarios/issues.
Thanks in advance. :geek:

OG

I consider myself a novice networking guy, but here's my two cents.

If your IP address is static, you need to either set your dns for any computer with static ip. Alternatively you can map your hosts file. Enterprise tends to register their PCs on the office network, not the industrial network, so when you change your IP from dynamic to static, it "disappears" from the network until you set the dns address.

If both have the dns address set, then they should be "discoverable".

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Oh yes I did,

But I ran into another issue (another post)
Hello.
I'm facing the same situation as you did. I'm trying to use a Network Station app with a client but I get no results. The connection between the two PCs is stablished and I can get ping on both ends. But the client cannot find the FactoryTalk project to open it and even if I have a copy in the PC it cannot find its server.

Kind regards.

Last edited: