FactoryTalk View SE Network Distributed

Lovell

Alarm Server Connection Status

I am trying to tie a color animation to a rectangle that changes color when connected or disconnected from the Alarm Server.

I have tried system\AlarmStatus="Connected" but that is not working
I also tried RNA://$Global/<MyProject>/<My Area>:<MyAlarmServer>=1
that is not valid.

Anyone do this before? Can you help?

Thanks,

I haven't tried this myself, but take a look at the function AE_HistoryStatus.

AE_HistoryStatus( "My_FTAE_SERVER_Name" )

It returns a number from 0 - 8 representing the status of the connection. From the Help:

An integer from 0 to 8 representing the connection status of alarm history database.

0: Initializing the connection to the database
1: Connected to the database
2: Disconnected to the database
3: Started logging to the database
4: Database definition deleted
5: Failed to log to the database
6: Stopping logging to the database
7: Stopped logging to the database
8: Alarm history not configured

So I probably wouldn't use a color animation since there are 9 states. A multi-State Indicator would probably work well for this.

OG

** EDIT ** I should clarify that this is for the Alarm and Event server. I assume that is what you are using and not the old HMI Tag Alarms. The alarm tags under the system folder only apply to the old method, not Alarms and Events.

I have tried your suggestion - I am sure it will work, but I cannot seem to get the format correct. As a test I am just trying to display the integer. In the Expression I have tried:

1. {AE_HistoryStatus(Alarm_4867)}
2. {AE_HistoryStatus(/Area1/Alarm_4867)}
3. {AE_HistoryStatus("/Area1/Alarm_4867")}
4. {AE_HistoryStatus("Alarm_4867")}
5. {AE_HistoryStatus"Alarm_4867"}
6. {AE_HistoryStatus:Alarm_4867}

it does not seem to like the open bracket.

AlarmStatus.png

I did come across an alternative. Rockwell has a display they have created that shows the status of one each HMI, Data, FTD, and A&E server. They have others if you have more servers. I tried it in v13 and it works.

Rockwell has a tech Note for this, but you have to have a TechConnect contract to be able to access it. It is ID # QA2083

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/44624/loc/en_US#__highlight

It has all the directions and the files available to download.

If you don't have a TechConnect contract, I have included the display in the attached .zip file. In order to use it, here is what you need to do (in my own words):

1. Unzip the serverstatus.zip file and you will get the serverstatus.gfx graphic display. In FTView right-click on the Displays editor and select Add Component into Project and point to where you stored this .gfx file.
  2. Open the serverstatus display and right-click in the display and select VBA Code
  3. Scroll to the top of the VBA screen
  4. On the 13th line, enter the name of the HMI server. Use the name as it appears in FTV Studio, not the computer name
  5. On line 14 enter the name of the area for that server. If it is in the root just use "/" (without the quotes)
  6. Repeat this on lines 17 and 18 for the Data Server (FactoryTalk Linx)
  7. Repeat for the Alarm and Event server on line 21 and 22
  8. Below that on lines 24-26, in the number of servers field, specify how many of each server you have
  9. Below that on line 31 in the number of server groups enter the total number of servers +1. The +1 is for the FactoryTalk Directory Server (this would commonly be 4. One each for FTD, Data, HMI, and A&E)

The display is small so you will want to use it as a pop-up. On an existing screen add a button that calls this display. You can test this using the Test Display feature in the display editor. The attached picture shows it running using one of the built-in demo applications.

Hope this helps!

OG

serverstatus live.png

Attachments

• serverstatus.zip
    40.1 KB · Views: 1
Just a heads up that I've downloaded and used that RA-provided display before, and (at least at the time that I did it), it was only about 75% functional. Lots of bugs/errors/omissions in the construction of the display and the underlying VBA code that needed fixing before it worked properly