I am new to PLC programing and I need help from any one please

yumeteor

I have a project to put a PLC for our self cleaning water filter.

I need help to write to program for it.

I have a koyo06 PLC with 2 pressure transducers (analog) and digital outputs for a solenoid.

The pressure transdusers will be located on e before the filters one after the filter and when the pressure differencial between them will rich 7psi I would like to send a signal to to solenoid to open for 10seconds. I would like to show how the pressure differencial builds up on the display.

if you need any more information please let me know.

Simple steps to get you started, but there may be other steps to consider:
1. Scale your analog inputs
2. Subtract outlet pressure from inlet pressure, (filters always have a pressure drop and outlet should be slightly less than inlet when filter is clean), store results
3. when results are greater than or equal to 7, set filter flush bit
4. flush bit starts timer, while timing, open solenoid.
5. timer times out, close solenoid.
6. continue to monitor pressure difference.

I'm not familiar with the AD plc, but the above basic logic should get you started down the right path.

Things to consider:
1. What to do, if you loose one of your analog inputs.
2. Do you need the ability to manually start/stop the flush cycle?
3. What happens if debri clogs the solenoid, and it hangs open?
4. How will you know?
5. What if a 10 second flush doesn't work?

Ken

Hi all
Yumeteor, I have a similar project and I am also new in the industrial field (straight out of college) so hopefully we can help each other and I am pretty sure the wise people of this panel can. My project is for an Air leak test with pressure transducers, temperature sensors and solenoid valves. My employer was trying to go with a data acquisition system at first but asked me yesterday to give him a quote for the necessary PLC system for that test (Since he knows that I have some PLC experience). If it is within its range it will go for the PLC system. So I now I have to come up with the entire system meaning choosing the right hardware and software (new to me). Personnally I dealt with AB: SLC, RSLogix, and PanelView so that is what he is trying to go for. So I am hoping that I can get some help for choosing the right hardware and software for my application.
I am not trying to steal your show as I was going to start a new thread when I saw yours. I guess we can help each other on the programming part and if you are rushed by the time I can start a new thread to get me started on acquiring my system. Let me know
Thank you

The best way to do any project is to break it down into small stages. Complete each step in sequence, with the understanding that as you progress you will have to go back and revise previous stages as you gain information and understanding.

1) Develop a clear picture of the system. A Process and Instrumentation Drawing (PID) is a good approach. It shows the mechanical and electrical components, and the connectins between them.

2) Create a Point List of the Inputs and Outputs (I/O), there location, voltage levels, device locations, and ranges of analog instruments.

3) Write a clear list of the program steps, interlocks for each step of the sequence that must be completed before proceding to the next step, signals that must be used to trip a sequence and outputs to effect the sequence, and so on.

4) List all alarms and operator adjustments

5) Describe each screen on the O/I, including data to be displayed, adjustments available, alarm messages, etc.

6) Then start writing the logic. Break this down into steps like the descriptions, and try to get each one basicly functioning before adding another logic step. Document each step thouroughly in comments. Start with some simple and basic steps, such as alarms, and progress to the more complex ones.

7) Begin configuring the operator interface screens, realizing that you may have to add to the logic to get valuse that can be displayed and setpoints that can be entered.

8) Test the logic and screens by using signal simulators, switches, and relays.

Don't be concerned about getting the whole thing figured out in advance. There is a tyranny to a blank page, and getting something down, even a small section, is a great way to get momentum established.

Last edited:
Could you please advise me on what type of processor I would need. I will have around 15 pressure transducers, 2 temperature sensors, 2 solenoid valves and some lights (4-8).
I am thinking of a SLC 5/04 but I don't know if I can get away with a SLC 5/02 or if a SLC 500 processor will be the solution. Doo you know where I can get information on how to select my processor, I/O modules...
Thanks

AB has a Controller Selector where you put in what you need and it recommends a controller.
http://www.ab.com/plclogic/

I put in your I/O as stated and it came back with an ML1200 so I would think any SLC500 may work, if you wont online editing you need to got with an SLC 5/03 or higher. Communication options may be another factor involved.

Thanks
Also the choice of ac (120V) or dc (24V) I/O (power supply and I/O modules) to use depends on my field devices right?

R-Phil said:
Can I just use a ML 1200 instead of the SLC?

Keep in mind, a number of features in the MicroLogix processors (most notably, online editing) are intentionally crippled to encourage the use of higher-end PLCs.

You should complete the first two steps of Tom's list before you select the hardware. Once you know exactly what type and quantity of I/O you will need, then you can start looking at which PLC meets your requirements.

Okay I see
Right now all of the components for the system haven't been selected. But my boss wanted a rough quote on how much a PLC system would cost. I want to give him a general quote and let him know that it will probably change depending on the I/O specifications. So with the ML 1200 I can only choose between a 120 AC or a 24V DC IN?

The pressure transducers are 12vdc

Last edited: